You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-14 12:49:05

Arska134

Alsa sound problem

I installed Arch Linux yesterday and i encountered audio problem. So can't hear any sounds expect mumble. I am using Alsa as output and input of mumble and it's working great. I asked this earlier at #archlinux @ Freenode, but no one know answer. Wine could be part of the problem too i guess. This is getting pretty annoying and i don't want go back to Ubuntu because of this problem so i appreciate your help.

Everything worked great yesterday, but something happened. Headset also worked perfectly with Ubuntu what means that problem can't be this headset.

Some info:
Device: Logitech G930 wireless gaming headset
Mumble system: Alsa
Mumble audio output device: [iec958:CARD=Headset,DEV=0] Logitech G930 Headset, USB Audio IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
uname -a output:

Linux ArskaPC 2.6.38-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 13 09:24:47 CEST 2011 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Please ask me more info if needed. Thanks!

ATTENTION!
Info and topic title not matching problem anymore. Installed OS again and using now Pulseaudio. Sounds working, but wrong default output device. System sounds not working because it can't be choosen from "pavucontrol". Only problem is now how do i change my default device to Logitech g930.

Thanks for Unrealized for helping with problem in mumble. wink

Last edited by Arska134 (2011-05-14 22:03:35)

#2 2011-05-14 14:49:17

Arska134

Re: Alsa sound problem

So i finally almost solved problem. So mumble is stoling my audio, because Audacious says "resource is busy" when mumble is running, but when mumble is closed i can listen music. How can i get both working same time?

#3 2011-05-14 15:18:10

triplesquarednine

When applications are working directly with alsa - they tend to block other applications from also using ALSA.

You could try setting up Pulseaudio - which was designed to handle issues, just like the one you are having.

I personally don't use Pulseaudio, as i use a lot of pro-audio applications, so pulseaudio isn't very good for me, so i cant help you there.

but Pulesaudio might solve your issues.....by the way, Ubuntu uses Pulseaudio by default.

that's probably why you didn't have any issues with ubuntu.

hope that helps, or atleast points you in the right direction smile

#4 2011-05-14 16:09:57

Arska134

triplesquarednine wrote:

When applications are working directly with alsa - they tend to block other applications from also using ALSA.

You could try setting up Pulseaudio - which was designed to handle issues, just like the one you are having.

I personally don't use Pulseaudio, as i use a lot of pro-audio applications, so pulseaudio isn't very good for me, so i cant help you there.

but Pulesaudio might solve your issues.....by the way, Ubuntu uses Pulseaudio by default.

that's probably why you didn't have any issues with ubuntu.

hope that helps, or atleast points you in the right direction smile

I changed mumble system to pulseaudio and i got system sounds working. Mumble still works so far... But when i use pulseaudio with qmmp, can't here anything.

#5 2011-05-14 21:05:40

Arska134

Okay installed Arch linux... again. Everything worked fine after i installed wine and rebooted my computer. I've been struggling with this problem all day answers please. hmm

EDIT:
So now i plugged my speakers to my computer and music player works with those. So i can listen music with speakers and use headset in mumble same time. How do i get all audio come from Logitech G930?

EDIT 2:
Installed pavucontrol and set right output device. Problem almost solved. Now i just have to select default device some how.

EDIT 3:
ATTENTION!
Info and topic title not matching problem anymore. Installed OS again and using now Pulseaudio. Sounds working, but wrong default output device. System sounds not working because it can't be choosen from "pavucontrol". Only problem is now how do i change my default device to Logitech g930.

Last edited by Arska134 (2011-05-14 22:04:24)

Board footer