You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-15 21:42:10

bjorntj

Two questions, SSD and NVidia drivers?

I have just receieved my new PC and I am going to install Arch Linux on it...  smile Never tried it before but I have used Gentoo before but mostly Fedora the last couple of years... But I thought I should try and see if I get as much speed as possible from my new PC...

But I have two questions... :

- I have been reading some the wiki for SSD and I was wondering if it is worth the hassle I need to do to be able to boot from SSD? I have a SATA disk in my system as well, and is just as smart to install the boot partition on this and only have the rest of the system partitions on the SSD disk?

- I also saw some mentioning not being able to use the NVidia driver as it is now. Is this correct or have I misread something? (Something about the latest X...?)

Regards,

BTJ

Someone wrote:
"I understand that if you play a Windows CD backwards you hear strange Satanic messages"
To which someone replied:
"It's even worse than that; play it forwards and it installs Windows"

#2 2011-05-15 21:53:22

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Two questions, SSD and NVidia drivers?

1) What hassle is there to boot from an SSD vs. an HDD?
2) You misread something.  The current nvidia driver in [extra] works with the current xorg in [extra].

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2011-05-15 22:46:08

karol
Archivist

As graysky suggested, please be more specific wrt to "the hassle".

Wrt to nvidia drivers, maybe you mean http://www.archlinux.org/news/nvidia-17 … rom-extra/, but that was about legacy drivers (and nvidia-173xx is already back in the repos).

#4 2011-05-16 10:28:49

bjorntj

Yes, that was the post I saw... But good that I was mislead... smile

About SSD, so might I just have skimmed the text to quick or it might just be that this is my first PC with SSD and I am not sure how SSD compares to regualar SATA disks when configuring it..
The wiki talked about needing to use grub2 instead of grub but I have understood that the grub version being installed by default is grub and not grub2?

But I see now that I might have been a bit too quick, because most of the thing in the wiki I need to consider no matter where I put the boot....

So to ask my question a bit differently... Are there any reasons to use one partition for boot on the SSD disk instead of on my SATA disk?

BTJ

Someone wrote:
"I understand that if you play a Windows CD backwards you hear strange Satanic messages"
To which someone replied:
"It's even worse than that; play it forwards and it installs Windows"

#5 2011-05-16 11:37:13

MrArchy

The archboot images install grub2 fine. Be sure to let the insaller create a grub2-bios partition or do It yourself with gdisk (gptfdisk). The official installer is à bit out of date for these kind of things. (to my taste)

#6 2011-05-16 16:27:22

stqn
Website

You certainly don't need to use grub2 or anything special on a SSD. You also don't have to use a GPT. The only relatively important thing you have to do is use a filesystem that supports "discard" (ext4) and add the "discard" option for the SSD partitions in /etc/fstab.

I think the wiki page contains all the needed information.

#7 2011-05-16 16:59:55

MrArchy

It's more recommended for easy alignment of the ssd though.

#8 2011-05-16 19:11:08

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

..and because it is more secure with regard to fault tolerance since it has a backup of the MBR.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer