You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-18 21:14:28

Telkkar

[SOLVED]MPB 5,5 and a fresh install, hang on boot

So, I've tried this about 4 different times (over the span of about 4 days), and I'm still stuck in the same spot.

I have a fresh install (net install) of Arch on my Macbook Pro 5,5. I went through the install with no issues (using defaults for the most part, adding in the base-devel packages). I get through grub fine.

The problem happens when I hit "Waiting for udev uevents to be processed". After this line, the text on the display gets changed, and filled with new text (it looks like text from earlier in the boot process), and the boot process hangs.

I've tried using a 2009 install disk as well. The install went fine, and the boot goes fine. I update the system, and reboot. Then, it gets stuck on the same line as the fresh install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

EDIT: I booted into the install CD, mounted / and began looking through the boot logfiles. It appears that it *DOESNT* hang on boot, the screen just isn't updating. Looking through the dmesg files, it looks like the nouveau driver is trying to load (or gets loaded). That could explain the non-updating screen?

EDIT2: Okay, yeah, I blacklisted the nouveau driver, and now it's all good (except for my slight embarrassment for posting). Thanks to all the archers who waited for me to figure it out on my own ^_^ big_smile

Last edited by Telkkar (2011-05-18 21:28:27)

Board footer