You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-03 18:37:30

jakerules

[Solved][Gnome 3] Catalyst problems and gnome crashes.

Hey guys,
I'm having a bunch of problems with gnome 3 right now.

First problem is my conky is reporting a ridiculous amount of memory used (even on boot it's around 500mb.)

${font Arial:bold:size=10}${color Blue1}MEMORY ${color Ivory}${hr 2}
$font${color Ivory}RAM $alignc $mem / $memmax $alignr $memperc%
$membar
$font${color Ivory}SWAP $alignc $swap / $swapmax $alignr $swapperc%
$swapbar

Does that look right?

Edit: Solved this at least. no_buffers was wrote off as no when it needed to be yes. Now with gnome 3 open, wicd, and firefox, I'm only around 300 megs of ram which seems normal!

My computer crashes after a few hours of being logged into an account as well. : ( Is there anything you would recommend? Crashes on this username and the other person as well.

Second problem is that I'm stuck in fallback mode. Ever since trying to install catalyst and catalyst-utils, I can't seem to get out of fallback mode at all. Read somewhere to uninstall libgl, xf86-video-ati and ati-dri so I did that as well. No matter what I did, catalyst won't work for me. : ( Reinstalled them just to get xorg to actually run. I have a mobility radeon x1600 or x1800 (I forget.) so I'm thinking it's new enough to get supported.

Sorry for all of the questions guys, but thank you in advance for any form of help.

Edit: Forgot to mention that catalyst wasn't even detecting a proper adapter for it. I don't mind sticking with xf86-video-ati, but I'd like to get out of fallback mode. Although I can see why many people like fallback mode better than the real thing...

Update: My system just randomly crashed out of the blue! :x Before the crashes were slow, and just got slower until you couldn't even move the mouse and were just forced to reboot. But this time the whole system just shut off. Tried listening to music but alsa was in use as well. Switched to other user account and the wicd didn't load properly on it. Oh man, I really messed something up here. Music is working fine now and wicd loaded correctly, but that was very strange. Another new problem now is that logging out gives me a half black/half garbled screen that forces me to reboot. I'm sure that's related to ati though.. (using slim btw)

Edit: For the most part this is now solved. Completely uninstalled catalyst as best as I could. I couldn't manage to 'hack' it to get it to work with my system. Out of fallback mode, and logging out doesn't force me to reset.

Last edited by jakerules (2011-05-04 08:53:44)

#2 2011-05-19 05:44:37

whackedspinach
Website

Re: [Solved][Gnome 3] Catalyst problems and gnome crashes.

How did you get out of fallback mode?  I just got fed up with trying to make fglrx work and reinstalled xf86-video-ati, but I'm still stuck in fallback.

Board footer