You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-12 07:17:15

CPUnltd
Website

[SOLVED] Fresh install... X doesn't exist???

just did a fresh install and update on a compaq n620c (after I got tired of not figuring out why X kept failing on the previous install)... now that I have it installed fresh with all updates (pacman -Syu has "nothing else to do") I am actually missing /usr/bin/startx, /usr/bin/startxfce4 (after installing all of xfce4) and a list of other packages that I'm too tired to post at the moment (after 2am here and I need to be up by 8).  Configured X and I am unable to get enlightenment OR fluxbox to start.  There seems to be a whole host of odd issues that have come with this week's repo updates.  My usual laptop is having plenty of them (including the loss of all input functionality in my standalone compiz DE and no window decorations in XFCE) which will get their own threads in due time... but could SOMEONE enlighten me on the situation? I'm seeing a bunch of random posts about this issue and that which have been solved... but there is NOTHING on the front page news of the archlinux site...  Is the introduction of Gnome3 really causing THIS MUCH DRAMA with the repos???

***sigh***

SOLUTION: missing packages xorg-xinit and xfce4-utils... would be nice if those were properly set as depends, as they are VERY necessary to run X and run XFCE4 respectively...

Last edited by CPUnltd (2011-05-21 16:24:18)

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

#2 2011-05-12 07:42:06

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Fresh install... X doesn't exist???

You may simply have an outdated/partially synced mirror. Or could just be human error (it IS 2 am after all).

My machines are running along fine, no issues with the updates (am on [testing]).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-05-12 08:05:37

CPUnltd
Website

will look for a fully synced mirror in the US come the morning, switch to that, and see what happens...  Another issue I seem to have stumbled upon is Plymouth freezing midway through boot... and the only way around it is hitting ESC on a  PS2 keyboard... USB will not work at all! but again, deserves it's own thread... good night...

#4 2011-05-12 12:39:33

cwwoo

Hi,
how did you install ? With the 2011.02-2 archboot iso ? And did you check the xfce4 (or other desktop environment) in the software list while install, without checking the basic xorg stuff explicitly ?
I made a fresh install some weeks ago and could not start x. xfce4 was installed during the installation process, but xorg was not. I assumed, that choosing xfce4, xorg would be installed as dependency. After installing via pacman -S xorg, I could start x without problems then.

#5 2011-05-12 15:58:11

CPUnltd
Website

installed from last dual arch iso release (5-2010?), updated everything, installed xorg on it's own, installed xfce4 on it's own, installed enlightenment on it's own, installed fluxbox on it's own... no DE will load.  Made sure to grab xorg-server a second time. Went to /usr/bin and startx does NOT exist. Went to /usr/bin and startxfce4 does NOT exist.  Not sure what's going on, but I feel like I'm using a seriously unstable system (and I am NOT using the testing repo)...

#6 2011-05-12 16:55:12

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

CPUnltd wrote:

installed from last dual arch iso release (5-2010?), updated everything, installed xorg on it's own, installed xfce4 on it's own, installed enlightenment on it's own, installed fluxbox on it's own... no DE will load.  Made sure to grab xorg-server a second time. Went to /usr/bin and startx does NOT exist. Went to /usr/bin and startxfce4 does NOT exist.  Not sure what's going on, but I feel like I'm using a seriously unstable system (and I am NOT using the testing repo)...

Did you install the whole xorg group, or only the server?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#7 2011-05-12 19:03:35

karol
Archivist

startx is in xorg-xinit package in [extra]. Installing xorg-server isn't enough.
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/ … 18235.html

#8 2011-05-12 19:18:20

CPUnltd
Website

litemotiv: I installed more than just xorg-server, but I didn't install the entire group, as I didn't need everything there...

karol: not sure if I specifically got xorg-xinit, but would that constitute the lack of startxfce4 as well?  Will likely attempt specifically installing that as well as reinstalling xfce4 afterwards, just to make sure...

#9 2011-05-12 19:21:33

karol
Archivist

CPUnltd wrote:

karol: not sure if I specifically got xorg-xinit, but would that constitute the lack of startxfce4 as well?  Will likely attempt specifically installing that as well as reinstalling xfce4 afterwards, just to make sure...

startxfce4 is in xfce-utils.

You can install pkgtools and run 'pkgfile foo' whenever you need to find which package has 'foo':

[karol@black ~]$ pkgfile startx
extra/xorg-xinit
[karol@black ~]$ pkgfile startxfce4
extra/xfce-utils

#10 2011-05-12 19:36:23

CPUnltd
Website

I see... will have to remember that one... will also make sure I install both of those packages manually...

#11 2011-05-20 16:58:13

CPUnltd
Website

good to go... xorg-xinit and xfce4-utils seems to have fixed my problem... now I just gotta figure out why I can't mount drives and why I can't log in with SLiM (resets itself, even when I log in as root)...

#12 2011-05-21 09:37:16

Stephanie
Website

CPUunitd wrote:

...now I just gotta figure out why I can't mount drives and why I can't log in with SLiM...

Did you write

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch startxfce4

in your ~/.xinitrc? Otherwise SLIM would not know that it has to start XFCE.

"2 hours of trial and error can save 10 minutes of manual reading." (unknown)

#13 2011-05-21 10:05:43

jelly
Administrator

CPUnltd wrote:

good to go... xorg-xinit and xfce4-utils seems to have fixed my problem... now I just gotta figure out why I can't mount drives and why I can't log in with SLiM (resets itself, even when I log in as root)...

It would be usefull for you to try reading the wiki. It solves all the problems you have.

#14 2011-05-21 15:37:11

CPUnltd
Website

already figured it out... was missing .xinitrc (somehow I forget to make that file sometimes...)

simultaneously fixed both issues...

Last edited by CPUnltd (2011-05-21 15:38:27)

#15 2011-05-21 16:14:23

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Please mark your thread solved CPUnltd.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#16 2011-05-21 16:24:33

CPUnltd
Website

done... tongue

Board footer