You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-16 13:23:39

osc~
Website

[solved] Pulseaudio problems

hello

after my gnome 3 upgrade sound stopped working. i have followed this steps on how to setup pulseaudio https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio

nevertheless it still doesnt work. my audio card is:

lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

i have this packages installed:

* gnome-media-pulse
* gnome-settings-daemon-pulse
* libcanberra-pulse
* pulseaudio-gnome
* lib32-alsa-plugins
* lib32-libcanberra-pulse

doing a series of commands always gives connection refused:

pactl list

Falha na conexão: Conexão recusada

if i try alsamixer:

ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Conexão recusada

and just typing pulseaudio

W: authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/home/livre/.esd_auth': Permissão negada
W: authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key '/home/livre/.esd_auth': Permissão negada
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-esound-protocol-unix" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: Falha em iniciar o daemon.

any help please?

cheers big_smile

Last edited by osc~ (2011-05-23 01:54:45)

#2 2011-05-22 20:35:47

osc~
Website

Re: [solved] Pulseaudio problems

hey, no one ever had a problem like this?

any help?

thanks

#3 2011-05-23 00:24:28

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

You're starting pulseaudio as root in your user directory? That would explain the permission problems. And please change your locale to something English so more people can understand, I do not speak Spanish (which is what I assume that is).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2011-05-23 01:26:39

karol
Archivist

ngoonee wrote:

And please change your locale to something English so more people can understand, I do not speak Spanish (which is what I assume that is).

So you need to type e.g.

LC_ALL=C pulseaudio

#5 2011-05-23 01:36:12

osc~
Website

ok thanks for the tip smile

here it goes:

$  LC_ALL=C pulseaudio
W: authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/home/livre/.esd_auth': Permission denied
W: authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key '/home/livre/.esd_auth': Permission denied
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-esound-protocol-unix" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.
$  LC_ALL=C alsamixer
ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

cannot open mixer: Connection refused
  $  LC_ALL=C pactl list
Connection failure: Connection refused

#6 2011-05-23 01:38:53

karol
Archivist

A quick google search http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-957095.html
That would mean that ngoonee was right: check the permissions for /home/livre/.esd_auth and fix them if needed.

#7 2011-05-23 01:54:07

osc~
Website

karol wrote:

That would mean that ngoonee was right: check the permissions for /home/livre/.esd_auth and fix them if needed.

hi, thnks for the tip wink

what i did was delete the .esd_auth file and restarted, now it works!

thanks alot

cheers

#8 2011-05-23 02:03:09

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

osc~ wrote:
karol wrote:

hi, thnks for the tip wink

what i did was delete the .esd_auth file and restarted, now it works!

thanks alot

cheers

And in future, don't run pulseaudio as root. It doesn't need it.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2011-05-23 02:10:06

osc~
Website

ngoonee wrote:

i never did...

#10 2011-05-23 05:36:25

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

osc~ wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

i never did...

The files were created by the root user somehow, in any case. Only reason I can think of is that you ran pulseaudio as root, or ran an audio-outputting app as root. In general, just don't run applications as root, only those few daemons in your DAEMON line.

#11 2011-07-09 00:56:23

natpjohnson

Sorry if this is too old to bump but Im having the exact same problem, but REALLY early in the install. Im tryin to open alsa mixer but Im getting the whole  "connection refused" thing too with the same lib error. I do have pulseaudio installed, Im not sure if its a permissions thing though. where is the file located that has the authorizations in it, so i can open it up in nano and change it if thats the problem?

Board footer