You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-23 06:20:04

Angus_Yann
Website

[SOLVED] I can't login Gnome

I finished installing Arch+Gnome, but stuck in the GDM Login Screen.

I only installed Intel graphic card driver and  xorg-server, xorg-xinit, xorg-twm xorg-xclock, xterm, xorg-utils xorg-server-utils.
I believe these are OK for there's no problem in dispaly.

Besides, I've installed: at-spi2-atk, at-spi2-core, gnome-applets, gnome-control-center, gnome-desktop, gnome-icon-theme, gnome-icon-theme-symbolic, gnome-keyring, gnome-media, gnome-panel, gnome-session, gnome-settings-daemon,  gnome-shell, gnome-terminal, gnome-themes-standard, metacity, mutter, nautilus, notification-daemon

Are those packages enough?

ps. I also have created xinitrc with "exec ck-launch-session gnome-session" command. Is this necessary?

Update: It's OK now. What I did is just login my own account first, not root as before. And then I can login root account. I don't why.

Last edited by Angus_Yann (2011-05-23 15:11:08)

Angel + Devil = Angus Yann

#2 2011-05-23 08:06:20

jeslinmx

Re: [SOLVED] I can't login Gnome

Remove the line from .xinitrc and uncomment the gdm line from inittab. What do you mean when you say you can't login? The screen does not show up, does not respond, fails to login with correct credentials, or something else?

Lenovo Y450 + Arch x86_64 dual boot with Windows 7 + Openbox standalone + Arch default kernel + Nouveau + yours truly = A lot of *****in' in the Arch Forums.

#3 2011-05-23 11:13:43

roygbiv

instead of editing /etc/inittab, have you tried adding gdm in the daemons array in /etc/rc.conf? make sure gdm is last in the array. you also need to install dbus and add it to the the array  as well.
you will also need the exec ck-launch-session gnome-session in your .xinitrc

Last edited by roygbiv (2011-06-01 13:25:43)

#4 2011-05-23 15:08:38

Angus_Yann
Website

jeslinmx wrote:

Remove the line from .xinitrc and uncomment the gdm line from inittab. What do you mean when you say you can't login? The screen does not show up, does not respond, fails to login with correct credentials, or something else?

After installation I was trying to login root to do some cleanning up. But It's stuck in GDM Login Screen.
And when pressed the Login button, buttons turned grey, mouse rolling,  but it still cannot load the root desktop.

Update: It's OK now. What I did is just login my own account first, not root as before. And then I can login root account. I don't why.

#5 2011-05-23 15:09:26

Angus_Yann
Website

roygbiv wrote:

instead of editing /etc/inittab, have you tried adding gdm in the daemons array in /etc/rc.conf? make sure gdm is last in the array. you also need to install dbus and add it to the the array  as well.
you will need the

exec ck-launch-session gnome-session

in your .xinitrc because xinit and startx need to know what X programs to start.

Thanks, and it's OK now.
What I did is just login my own account first, not root as before. And then I can login root account. I don't why.

#6 2011-05-24 06:24:28

jeslinmx

@roy gdm starts gnome-session after login, so it should not need to be called from .xinitrc.
@angus hmm. Interesting. But can't you just do your cleanup using sudo or gksu? Seems less...wrong somehow.

Lenovo Y450 + Arch x86_64 dual boot with Windows 7 + Openbox standalone + Arch default kernel + Nouveau + yours truly = A lot of *****in' in the Arch Forums.

Board footer