You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-21 19:05:41

jjsullivan

[SOLVED][KDE4]Only system sounds will play

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the DE section, so please move it if you see fit.

I'm having a bit of a tricky issue with KDE, all the system sounds will play, but nothing else. I'm currently using the gstreamer phonon backend with ALSA. I've seen some forum posts from the gentoo wiki with similar problems but it seems it was just a mixed mess of deleting .folders and other configuration files. I've also tried to use the VLC phonon backend but to no avail either. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and has a coherent solution.

So far I've tested playing audio files in VLC and videos on youtube. My alsa device is fully configured and will play audio, just not output from programs that are not part of the plasma environment. I have also looked to the wiki for a solution but it only seems like it has solutions for audio conflict problems, which is all sorted out for me.

Last edited by jjsullivan (2011-05-25 04:22:50)

#2 2011-05-23 02:03:54

williamkray

Re: [SOLVED][KDE4]Only system sounds will play

i recently had a gstreamer issue that i solved today as well.  run a pacman -Ss gstreamer0.10 to see which packages you have installed.  you might need to install the gstreamer0.10-plugins group of packages, as i did.

this might be completely different from what i went through, since i'm not using phonon or kde, but it's worth a shot.  worst case scenario is you uninstall the extra packages afterwards.

another option to try (which didn't help me, but was a solution for SOMEONE i found through my searches) was to compile and reinstall a fresh version of the gstreamer0.10 package.  abs makes it so simple to do, it's also worth trying.

#3 2011-05-23 04:09:58

jjsullivan

Well actually that's the thing, I installed ALL gstreamer0.10 packages (# pacman -S $(pacman -Ss gstreamer0.10)). So i guess I'll try to re-install the gstreamer framework from the repos or abs. Still, not solved as of yet.

#4 2011-05-25 04:22:19

jjsullivan

Gonna mark solved, just decided to go back to openbox after figuring out another problem from before.

Board footer