You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-01 19:38:36

kestrelhawk

Issue Installing Grub on Macbook 3,1

Hey all,

I recently downloaded Arch Linux ISO for a change from Ubuntu to install on my Macbook 3,1. However, I'm having a little difficulty finalising the installation. Everything installs fine up until the last step - Installing a Bootloader (GRUB). I think it may be an issue with my partition table, which is GPT (I set up the partitions on GParted before installing Arch). My partitions are the following:

/dev/sda1        -        EFI
/dev/sda2        -        HFS+ (OSX Partition)
/dev/sda3        -        Linux Partition (for Arch to be installed on)
/dev/sda4        -        Linux Swap

I read on the Arch Mac Wiki that Grub should not be installed on /dev/sda. So initially I tried installing it on /dev/sda3, however I receive the tty7 error. I then tried it on every other /dev/sdaX but gave me the same error.

I would be grateful for any advice on how to resolve this, my apologies if I've left out any other important information.

#2 2011-05-25 02:21:20

zrbecker

Re: Issue Installing Grub on Macbook 3,1

I am having the same issue with the same partitioning on a Macbook 5,3, here is a picture out the output. http://imgur.com/1GgW1

Not sure what to do from here.

Last edited by zrbecker (2011-05-25 02:21:48)

#3 2011-05-25 18:47:37

kestrelhawk

Surprisingly I managed to get it working one day. Although I didn't do anything different, bear in mind however it was after ten attempts. I believe that grub1 is not supported by the GPT partition table, however, grub2 is. I'm unsure about LILO. I never managed to implement grub2 or LILO in the end as I ran out of blank disks!

Sadly, I gave up because I reached another problem. Nonetheless I'm definitely giving it another try when I have time, and I'm sure its worth the hassle, although I've never had great experiences with Linux on my Macbook.

Let me know how the installation pans out.

#4 2011-05-26 06:58:47

zrbecker

I pretty much just gave up. Its not worth the effort.

Board footer