You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-26 01:50:37

Ishq

[SOLVED] Laptop Subwoofer

I've tried about every proposed way I found on google to enable the subwoofer, but I couldn't get it to work. However, recently, it came to my attention that the system bell and the X11 bell both use only the subwoofer (and not the Left and Right laptop speakers, whereas, regular programs only use the left and right speakers, but not the subwoofer) to beep me (quite loudly, I should add). Given new hope, I'm curious if there is any way to tell how to make my regular applications use the subwoofer as well?

Thanks

Some more info:

Kernel: 2.6.38
ALSA version: 1.0.24.2
PulseAudio (Doesn't work with or without PulseAudio or OSS4): 0.9.22
Subwoofer: HP Beats

Last edited by Ishq (2011-06-06 21:00:36)

#2 2011-05-26 08:30:46

Army

Re: [SOLVED] Laptop Subwoofer

Could you please post the output of

amixer

(if you don't already have it on your system, it's included in the alsa-utils package)

#3 2011-05-26 14:43:57

Ishq

Here it is:

$ amixer                                                                                                                                                                                                  
Simple mixer control 'Master',0                                                                                                                                                                           
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined penum                                                                                                                                                      
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right                                                                                                                                                             
  Limits: Playback 0 - 65536                                                                                                                                                                              
  Mono:                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  Front Left: Playback 24773 [38%] [on]                                                                                                                                                                   
  Front Right: Playback 24773 [38%] [on]                                                                                                                                                                  
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0                                                                                                                                                                          
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined penum                                                                                                                                                      
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right                                                                                                                                                              
  Limits: Capture 0 - 65536                                                                                                                                                                               
  Front Left: Capture 65536 [100%] [on]                                                                                                                                                                   
  Front Right: Capture 65536 [100%] [on]             

#4 2011-05-26 22:00:40

Army

Ok looks like there's no control for the subwoofer. I have a laptop subwoofer as well and it's being controlled by 'Master Mono', which you don't have unfortunately. So to me it looks like you can't control your subwoofer.

Sorry I'm out of ideas, maybe somebody else can help.

#5 2011-05-27 06:09:42

dalingrin

Try adding the following to /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd_hda_intel model=ref

I believe the last line is most pertinent.

#6 2011-06-04 08:42:14

Ishq

Hmm, tried all that to no avail. Is there any way to force different sounds through the "PC Beep" speaker? I tried loading a custom sample through pulseaudio, but that didn't work.

#7 2011-06-04 09:02:58

karol
Archivist

Ishq wrote:

Hmm, tried all that to no avail. Is there any way to force different sounds through the "PC Beep" speaker?

http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/beep/
But it's sound, not music.

Try to disable the pcspkr

[karol@black ~]$ grep pcspkr /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf
blacklist pcspkr

and see if you can control the subwoofer now.

#8 2011-06-06 21:00:20

Ishq

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not sure which of the steps I took solved it, but setting "Mono Mux" in alsamixer to "DAC0" or "DAC1" enabled the subwoofer and setting it to "mixer" disables it. I'm not quite sure what "Mono Mux" and "DAC[0|1]" are, but, hey, it works.

Board footer