You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-28 21:53:11

Loser777

[SOLVED] Conflict between graphics and network controller?

I'm in the process of configuring arch on a system with a P5Q-E and Radeon 6870 (the two pieces of hardware in question). The P5Q-E has two network controllers, and there seems to be an issue with getting graphics and network to work at the same time. Immediately after install the network controller was working fine--but immediately after I installed xf86-video-ati, the network would no longer work on boot. Figuring that this was an issue with the open-source driver, I removed it and the network worked again. I then tried installing ATI's proprietary driver, which after installing correctly, causes the newtwork to no longer work again.

Even though installation of the graphics drivers was successful--it seems that they haven't kicked in (X cannot find any screens).

I remember that when running slackware on this macine a a few years ago only one of the two network controllers worked--though I wouldn't that that this issue would persist and even caust the graphics to stop working. Both controllers as well as the Radeon 6870 work fine in Windows.

EDIT: It seems that which network controller I booted with will not work when I reboot--if I switch the ethernet cable to the other controller during boot, it will work. O_o?
EDIT2: Fixed graphics issue but network problems remain...

Last edited by Loser777 (2011-05-29 00:16:17)

#2 2011-05-28 23:27:47

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] Conflict between graphics and network controller?

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your problem, but it also deals with network failing and Windows.

#3 2011-05-29 00:13:02

Loser777

Re: [SOLVED] Conflict between graphics and network controller?

It's not exactly a fix, but I've worked around the problem by switching to wicd and disabling the network daemond (which was slowing down startup a lot anyway)...
After a update (for some reason I had a bad mirror in my mirrorlist that was reporting all of my really old packages to be up to date) and recompiling fglrx everything works!

Board footer