You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-30 03:38:00

xelados
Website

Odd stack dumps and a kernel panic

I recently built a new computer and installed Arch x86_64 on it (after testing both the RAM and the CPU with the built-in tools). Most things went well until I installed and starting using Firefox. It would begin to segfault. I figured it was just a newer version and would have the issue, but it happened more, even with safe mode. I looked it up in the Bugs and saw a fix involving the dconf package, so I grabbed it. Later on, I got a stack dump/trace:

http://bb.xieke.com/files/IMG_0016.jpg
Sorry for the blur, I couldn't use flash.

I had to hard reset the computer. After this, I decided that I should try a different browser. I went to Opera. Things were going smoothly until I plugged in my USB SD card reader. Within 2 seconds, the screen went black and the kernel panicked. I couldn't make out anything that could point me in the right direction (and forgot to photograph it).

Hard reset #2. I moved to Midori, to see if _something_ would work. Again, things went fine, but then it segfaulted out of nowhere again. Thankfully it's cooperating long enough to post this message.

In each instance, I had nothing more than fluxbox, pidgin, and a terminal window up in conjunction with the browsers.

I'll do anything needed to fix this issue so long as I stay on pure x86_64. Any help that could be offered will be greatly appreciated.

Some relevant software (all up to date as of today)

kernel 2.6.38.7-1
firefox 4.0.1-1
xf86-video-ati 6.14.1-1
xorg-server 1.10.1-1

#2 2011-05-30 04:21:11

xelados
Website

Re: Odd stack dumps and a kernel panic

I tried to replicate the issue, finding it odd that it only happened when the SD card reader was put in. I left Midori on a blank page and inserted the USB reader. Instant panic. I restarted, opened the other browsers, inserted the card reader. Another panic. Last ditch effort, I commented out the udev rules I had set for the card reader, let it sit for a minute, and plugged the reader in again. It took a few tries, but it panicked again and I took a picture:

http://bb.xieke.com/files/IMG_0017.jpg

Again, sorry for the blur.

It seems to me it's an issue with the kernel or one of its subsystems. The only other test I can think to do is not load xorg and see if it still screws up.

Board footer