You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-11 23:04:11

aficionado

Can't get the nvidia module to work.

Hi,

I just moved a machine from debian to archlinux due to the newer packages. Anyways, since yesterday I have been trying to get the nvidia module to work but haven't had no luck. Basically I get a black screen once I run startx and afterwards I can't switch back to any of the consoles. The system doesn't hang because I can SSH into it from another machine and do whatever. Killing all the x-related processes doesn't recover the screen, only restarting the computer gets the ttys back. sad

I have tried several different nvidia module versions include 1.0-7664, 1.0-7174 and 1.0-6229. I have also the stock 2.6.11.10 kernel and a custom compiled 2.6.11.11 kernel. If that wasn't enough I have tried the xorg generated xorg.conf file and the hwd generated xorg.conf file. Below is what I am running.

xorg 11R6.8.2-2
eVGA nVidia GeForce FX5200 (The LCD is connected through the regular VGA port)

xorg.conf: http://68.190.122.245:9696/temp/xorg.conf
Xorg.0.log: http://68.190.122.245:9696/temp/Xorg.0.log
nvidia-installer.log: http://68.190.122.245:9696/temp/nvidia-installer.log
`hwd -s` output: http://68.190.122.245:9696/temp/hwd_s.txt

Any help is really appreciated!  neutral

#2 2005-06-17 04:39:16

iBertus

Re: Can't get the nvidia module to work.

so i assume that it works correctly when you use the xorg nv driver?

#3 2005-06-17 09:30:46

Kern

Nice to see logs and confs posted smile

just to be sure we are singing from the same hymnbook, have you:
-- followed the wiki info  as your logs show the DRI section still intact (bottom of xorg.conf)
and from wiki,
-- installed nvidia via pacman, with X server shut down. and then modified xorg.conf accordingly.

# Auto-generated by Archie mkxcfg

? Archie ?

-- following the kernel upgrade did you then run pacman -S nvidia, as above,  to incorporate it with the new kernel ?

other tidbits
maybe try backing up xorg.conf first and then removing redundant lines #'s etc to make your config file more readable, and 1, 4, 15 bit resolution entries too.

The last time i had the blackscreen was in Fedora, it was mentioned that a kernel patch by fedora, was fouling the nvidia drivers. So i blamed fedora, chipsets, patches, drivers, witchcraft etc. Swapped to arch , followed the WIKI destructions and all worked ok. so im sure it can be solved here too.

FWIW my xorg.conf can be found here  if you want something to refer to. in the interests of jurisprudence, copy/modify at your own risk.  i cant/wont pay for fried monitors smile

incidentally nv in the Section did work for me instead of nvidia but was no real solution as i wanted to use GL and it wouldnt work with it, just runs a generic vga driver and not the nvidia one.

persevere dude, and good luck.
smile

#4 2005-06-17 15:20:34

aficionado

iBertus wrote:

so i assume that it works correctly when you use the xorg nv driver?

Sorry for the late reply, I had lost hope after not getting a reply for a few days sad. Anyways, yes it works find with the xorg nv drivers (but no GL...)

#5 2005-06-17 15:28:53

aficionado

Thanks for the reply Kern! You are right I did not comment out the DRI section at the bottom. The reason it wasn't done was because I don't recall doing that on my laptop and it worked on the laptop (following the nvidia readme).

The directions in the readme that came with the installer only told me to comment out the Load "DRI" line. Anyways, I will definitely try this out tonight by following the wiki directions and post the progress.

Thanks again :!:

Board footer