You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-01 15:29:03

syamajala
Website

archiving video tapes

My family has a huge collection of video tapes they taken over the year with various camcorders. I counted about 50 minidv tapes so far. There is also a crate of 8mm tapes. I was wondering what the best way to convert these to dvd is. I've already managed to hook up my minidv camera to my system using firewire and dumped 1 tape as dv2 using dvgrab. Now, I'm not sure what to do next. I think that with such a huge collection I'm not going to have time to edit them all. I don't think I'm going to be able to store them all on my hds either. I have 8 500gb hds, four connected directly to the motherboard, and 4 more connected through a port multiplier. I haven't setup a raid yet, because I'm not sure what the best setup is. I was thinking about putting the 4 hds connected to the motherboard in a raid 5 and then the other four in another raid 5 as opposed to one big raid 5.

As for the 8mm tapes, I have a tv capture card with an mpeg encoder, but I'm not even sure if we have a camera to play them back. I think those will come after the minidv tapes though.

Anyone done anything like this and have some tips?

I'm really considering just ripping the dv2 to mpeg and burning as is.

#2 2011-06-01 16:31:31

lagagnon
Website

Re: archiving video tapes

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2011-06-01 19:32:14

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Is your goal to have these on DVDs to play in a stand-alone DVD player?  If not, I would recommend x264 compression on your mpeg streams.  Handbrake is a great GUI front-end.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2011-06-01 22:40:27

syamajala
Website

Yes I would like to be able to play them in a stand-alone dvd player.

Board footer