You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-02 21:47:19

martvefun

Fast, web only, system

Hello,

I've just found out about Webian Shell, a minimalistic full screen browser (check out the demonstration video).

I don't really like the idea of everything in the cloud and stuff like this but I could really use a very fast system which could on something like 20sec be ready and connected on the web (which usually takes me about 1min30, 2min).
I like archlinux so I was thinking of using it smile (but if you know another linux distribution which could be better, tell me)

I'm a gnome user, but I guess I won't install gnome-shell and connect using networkmanager smile
Which are the apps with minimal time and memory consuming ?
What do you think should I do to have a super-fast system ? Any advices ?

Thank you

English is not my native language, sorry for the mistakes
Arch amd64, GNOME, Dell Vostro

#2 2011-06-02 22:08:24

riddle

Re: Fast, web only, system

You always have meego, very nice piece of software.

Last edited by riddle (2011-06-03 06:54:59)

#3 2011-06-02 22:09:09

mhertz

Please do your own homework.

You can find lots of info on lightweight window managers and browsers etc. on the arch wiki, forums and general net, and everybody will have there own opinions on this, so it's your job to read up on this and test for yourself...

Also, this is imho off-topic...

#4 2011-06-03 06:46:39

martvefun

riddle, MeeGo is not very stable. It didn't run on my laptop. But I agree, it's very nice, I which I had it on my smartphone.

mhertz, it's not very kind but you are right. Yes I can do (and already did) researches but I'm curious about advices from other people.
It's always interesting to ask as people may know projects worth to look.

#5 2011-06-03 13:44:58

uc50ic4more

martvefun, perhaps your question is more complex than I think it is; but if I were to attempt to build a light, "web-only" system that booted as quickly as possible and consumed minimal resources system I would be tempted (beyond compiling my own kernel) to simply follow the installation instructions here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide and add to that whichever browser and plugins you choose. Optimizing your system would/ could then be a gradual process of researching and removing components of the system that you find to be unnecessary.

In lesser or greater ways, that is the method most or all "Archers" employ in refining our systems, customizing them to our exact needs and preferences. You may find some very obvious improvements by no longer using a DE or DM; and information about how to begin system-critical services and daemons, and how to start X, etc. are also available on the wiki.

#6 2011-06-03 15:53:49

lagagnon
Website

From a cold boot and even using the slim login manager I am on the web using "jumanji" and the wmii tiling WM in about 29 seconds from a cold boot, including a login screen. That also includes launching 2 urxvt terminals, conky, xscreensaver and ssh. I also use "e4rat" to improve loading speeds. I suspect I could lower that 29 seconds even further by using "systemd", but cannot be bothered at the moment.

This is not a super fast machine: Athlon II x2 240, 4GB RAM.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#7 2011-06-03 16:04:45

Blender

So you're planning on cloning ChromeOS by using Arch as a base system?

#8 2011-06-03 17:08:20

martvefun

Thank you for your answers.
@Blender, yes kind of. I don't know exactly what does ChromeOS but I think it aims to be an OS for "normal" every day usage.
I don't really need this as the purpose is for example to quickly check an email or a bus timetable but not for a long usage (stuff like flash are not really mandatory if it can improve the performances).

Last edited by martvefun (2011-06-03 17:08:46)

#9 2011-06-03 19:30:11

riddle

Every Linux is an OS  for "normal" every day usage :3

Last edited by riddle (2011-06-03 19:30:55)

Board footer