You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-04 05:27:27

jayd3e

Permission Denied When Doing Backup

So I am trying to backup my system with rsync.  I run this command:

sudo /usr/bin/rsync -avz --delete --numeric-ids --progress -e ssh / jayd3e@192.168.1.114:/raid/Backups/PsychoMantis

Most of my files get copied over smoothly, but for about 10 of them, including /etc/shadow and /etc/mtab.fuselock, I run into permissions errors.  It simply says failed to copy "blah": Permission denied.  Any ideas?  I've talked to people in irc that have never had this problem.  This is a fresh install.

#2 2011-06-04 06:05:46

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Permission Denied When Doing Backup

Does your ssh user have permissions on the remote server? Both files here have 600 permissions, while most of the others in /etc have 640 at least (or even 644), but I use rsync to backup remotely (ssh as root user though) and both go over fine.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer