You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-06 11:19:50

rusma

Any possible dual presentation screen solution (Impress!ve+Writer)?

Hello.

I've made a presentation in LaTeX-Beamer and want to use Impress!ve to project it to the projector or the Smart Board (some kind of projector) via an VGA cable, how can I have a dual screen so I can view some notes from OpenOffice Writer on my laptop screen while I talk? I'm using Awesome WM at the moment, so I was wondering if there is some simple solution to this.

I was thinking of maybe using Xephyr?

Greets.

Edit: some errors where corrected

Last edited by rusma (2011-05-07 00:33:15)

#2 2011-05-07 00:03:15

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Any possible dual presentation screen solution (Impress!ve+Writer)?

Couldn't you just set writer to always-on-top?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-05-07 00:17:20

rusma

ngoonee wrote:

ngoonee, thanks for the answer, but what does this really mean?

#4 2011-05-07 05:10:33

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

rusma wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

ngoonee, thanks for the answer, but what does this really mean?

Awesomewm (as far as I can recall) has the facility to set a window as always on top other windows. I've seen it while browsing example rc.lua snippets, though I've never used it before.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2011-05-10 19:30:37

rusma

Ok, in the standard rc.lua (Awesome's config file) I can not see any "always on top" stuff, exept for something about floating -- but my intention is to use my computer like an overhead, but at the same time being able to view some notes not in the beamer document. Possible?

#6 2011-05-29 15:23:49

nae64

Just use default TwinView (nvidia, some likewise stuff for ATI should be availible) and Awesome will handle the rest, as it has real multihead support. This does sadly not apply to impressive, as its fullscreen-mode will fuck things up. If you run it windowed (-f switch) you can place it in an awesome tag and fullscreen it using Mod+F. Any other presentation software (like evince F5-mode) need no further configuration.

#7 2011-05-29 23:41:03

rusma

nae64 wrote:

Just use default TwinView (nvidia, some likewise stuff for ATI should be availible) and Awesome will handle the rest, as it has real multihead support. This does sadly not apply to impressive, as its fullscreen-mode will fuck things up. If you run it windowed (-f switch) you can place it in an awesome tag and fullscreen it using Mod+F. Any other presentation software (like evince F5-mode) need no further configuration.

Nice. I believe that is what I want to do. I have Intel graphics (xf86-video-intel) graphics, so what the "TwinView" for Intel graphics? How can I control Impressive while in Writer, Firefox or similar (on the other "head" the audience will not see)?

#8 2011-05-30 08:21:52

aquotte

I have a netbook with intel graphics and xrandr works perfectly. Just run

xrandr -q

and it will show you the video output devices connected to the laptop along with their supported resolutions. The panel will be LVDS or LVDS1 and the external display will be VGA or VGA1.

To activate the external display, choose one of the available resolutions and run (using the correct names and resolution)

xrandr --output VGA --mode 800x600 --right-of LVDS

The external display should now be running to the right of the panel (moving the mouse past the right border of the panel takes the cursor to the external display and moving it past the left border of the external display takes it to the panel). To turn the external display off, run

xrandr --output VGA --off

The wiki and man xrandr have more detailed information.

--
Fabio Aquotte

#9 2011-05-30 10:02:38

rusma

aquotte wrote:

I have a netbook with intel graphics and xrandr works perfectly. Just run

xrandr -q

and it will show you the video output devices connected to the laptop along with their supported resolutions. The panel will be LVDS or LVDS1 and the external display will be VGA or VGA1.

To activate the external display, choose one of the available resolutions and run (using the correct names and resolution)

The external display should now be running to the right of the panel (moving the mouse past the right border of the panel takes the cursor to the external display and moving it past the left border of the external display takes it to the panel). To turn the external display off, run

xrandr --output VGA --off

The wiki and man xrandr have more detailed information.

--
Fabio Aquotte

Hello

I like this one. I tried to do the

but got this error:

xrandr: cannot find output "LVDS"

and this is the output from xrandr:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1440 x 900, maximum 8192 x 8192
LVDS1 connected 1440x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 304mm x 190mm
   1440x900       60.0*+
   1024x768       60.0  
   800x600        60.3     56.2  
   640x480        59.9  
VGA1 connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
   1024x768       60.0  
   800x600        60.3     56.2  
   848x480        60.0  
   640x480        59.9  
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
TV1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

I could not understand from what you wrote if the screen will appear as a little window like the one you make from Xephyr.

#10 2011-05-31 07:30:21

aquotte

You have to use the correct names for your system in the command. In your case, the output of "xrandr -q" shows LVDS1 (which is your laptop panel) and VGA1 (which is the external display). It also shows that the external display VGA1 supports these resolutions: 1024x768, 800x600, 848x480 and 640x480. You will probably want to use the biggest resolution (1024x768), so the command would be:

xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768 --right-of LVDS1

and

xrandr --output VGA1 --off

to turn it off.

This command will just set the external display as a second monitor, exactly the same as if you had two monitors connected to a desktop computer. You will be able to place windows in either of the screens. So, for instance, you can place the pdf reader window on the external display and the openoffice window in the laptop panel. You will also be able to move your mouse cursor from one screen to the other to control your applications.

Hope that makes sense.

--
Fabio Aquotte

#11 2011-05-31 11:08:31

rusma

Hey! This is really cool! It's the same setup stock brokers on television use :-) Perfect! And this is standard in Xorg, so I did not require any additional programs (yay!).

But, I can not start Impress!ve in this second screen (from Urxvt). When i start it there from urxvt the output displays on the laptop (LVDS1). I can use evince though.

Last edited by rusma (2011-05-31 11:13:31)

#12 2011-06-01 04:19:12

aquotte

On awesome, with the default configuration, you can hit Mod4+o to send a window to the other screen.

#13 2011-06-01 16:30:30

rusma

aquotte wrote:

On awesome, with the default configuration, you can hit Mod4+o to send a window to the other screen.

Nice. I'll try that out. I tried the tricks on the projetor today. Everything worked well at first some times, but then Xorg started to complain about :1 being broken and crashed. Then I would be able to start Xorg again and try again with xrandr, but everything would again crash complaining about :1. It was really strange that it did not cure itself after doing a reboot.

#14 2011-06-02 02:49:47

aquotte

That's strange. I would guess the projector is doing something funky that X doesn't like. Or maybe a crappy connection cable.

--
Fabio Aquotte

#15 2011-06-03 13:15:23

rusma

aquotte wrote:

Hello.

Regarding Impress!ve in Awesome. Impress!ve does not start in a window which is placeable around awesome. I believe it "catches" the screen (or tag in AwesomeWM since I am able to move to another tag using Mod4 and arrow keys. However, Evince IS possible to send to the other screen, but I do not know if it is possible if Evince is in presentation mode (then I would think it behave the same way as Impress!ve).

#16 2011-06-05 05:05:46

aquotte

Mod4 + o should send it to the other screen even if it is fullscreen. If it doesn't work, Impress!ve must be doing something really wonky. With evince, you could send it to the other screen before putting it into presentation mode. Personally, I use this software for presentations. It creates two windows, one with the presentation (that you send to the other screen) and another with a timer and a miniature of the presentation which you use to control it.

--
Fabio Aquotte

Board footer