You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-20 22:44:30

trn

Recommended Nouveau Nvidia Card?

With Nvidia drivers not working with the latest version of X i'm stuck without a composting setup.  I have GTX580's, GT430's, a GTS240 and a 7700GS; I also use a 2560x1600 monitor so I need dual link working.  None of my cards work with my setup; the old 7700GS is the only card that works with 3D in nouveau but then it doesn't support dual link DVI (the card not the driver) so that doesn't work with my monitor.

Can anyone recommend a Nvidia card that would work with:
- Nouveau
- Dual Link DVI 2560x1600
- Hopefully low power usage since I don't want to turn my efficient Linux box into a space heater

Yes, i've read the Nouveau Wiki but it seems that they only cards recommended officially for my setup that are still for sale would be the GTX 465, GTX 470, and GTX 480.  All terrible cards; hot inefficient powerful cards that are total overkill for some simple desktop composting and basic needs.  I'm hoping someone has a suggestion for a card not listed on the official wiki; thanks in advance!

#2 2011-05-20 23:37:17

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Recommended Nouveau Nvidia Card?

Why aren't nvidia drivers working with the latest version of X? I'm using my 9300 just fine.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-05-20 23:58:07

trn

Please close this idiotic post! smile  And thanks for the help.

I remembered seeing this and hadn't even tried out nvidia drivers recently sad

News: nvidia-173xx and nvidia-96xx removed from [extra]
2011-04-15 - Gaetan Bisson
The nvidia-173xx and nvidia-96xx driver packages have been removed from our repositories as they are incompatible with newer xorg servers. This can only be fixed by an upstream update, which has not happened yet.

For most video cards, the best alternative should be xf86-video-nouveau; see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau

As lower-grade options, you might also consider xf86-video-nv and xf86-video-vesa: simply remove the old nvidia driver(s), install these, and the xorg server will automatically pick the best at startup.

#4 2011-05-21 01:20:56

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

trn wrote:

Please close this idiotic post! smile  And thanks for the help.

I remembered seeing this and hadn't even tried out nvidia drivers recently sad

News: nvidia-173xx and nvidia-96xx removed from [extra]
2011-04-15 - Gaetan Bisson
The nvidia-173xx and nvidia-96xx driver packages have been removed from our repositories as they are incompatible with newer xorg servers. This can only be fixed by an upstream update, which has not happened yet.

For most video cards, the best alternative should be xf86-video-nouveau; see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau

As lower-grade options, you might also consider xf86-video-nv and xf86-video-vesa: simply remove the old nvidia driver(s), install these, and the xorg server will automatically pick the best at startup.

Lesson learnt? Read notices properly (and check with upstream) smile

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2011-06-05 16:23:36

frostmorne

7600gs works great

sorry for bad english. i'm not english speaking

Board footer