You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-19 01:09:47

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

questions about mutt

Posting here, because I feel like a newbie when it comes to mutt.

A couple of questions for you dog masters out there...

1) Is there a way I can startup mutt in a particular mbox?

2) Is there a way I can startup in mailbox list choose mode? I can alias mutt to mutt -y, but that seems inelegant. Is there a way to acheive this in the config file?

3) How can I update my mail listing without restarting mutt? Is there a way to reparse the mbox files? I have fetchmail and procmail pulling in my messages periodically (cron'ed), but I have to restart mutt to see any new mails...

That is it for now..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2005-06-19 01:58:35

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: questions about mutt

by default, "G" is for "get mail" - it should be bound to call fetchmail...

#3 2005-06-19 03:18:50

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I got that part. I set a config option in muttrc for it, but it doesnt seem to be refreshing the listing. Hmm. Maybe I was trying ^G.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2005-06-19 06:03:39

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Ok. I got #3 working. Still no idea on #1 and #2.
And a new one

4) How do you enable threading in mutt. My display isn't showing the little threading arrows for some reason. Dunno why..

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#5 2005-06-19 10:04:27

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Come on cactus!

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.mutt.user/10960

two minutes of googling.

and for the opening a particular Mailbox, I found this in the manual

mutt -f /path/to/mailbox.

works good here.

#6 2005-06-19 16:57:03

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

folder-hook . set sort=threads

#7 2005-06-19 18:45:41

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

phrakture!!!!
heh.
I am using folder-hook to set the from address header. I started using some muttrc i found off the net, and have been customizing it. It appears that I have been setting sort=threads globally, but the folder hook has it setting it to sort=date. aha!

By the way, folder-hook is great! I can set the from address based on which mbox file I am in! I was accidentally trying to use an mbox-hook to get the same results..thinking that it was a hook to which mbox file you were in..nope..it is which mbox file a mail is saved to! lol..

as for iphitus..i did google, and did find that ml thread. I was setting it globally, but the folder-hook was overriding it. As for opening up an mbox manually with a cli argument, I was hoping for a config value in .muttrc that would do it. I think I might have found it. I am going to try using the push command to force it to do a 'c' then the name of the mbox.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#8 2005-06-19 19:45:34

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

also, on your blog you mentioned displaying mime types... there's a "mailcap" file somewhere which handles that...

#9 2005-06-20 00:14:52

iphitus
Forum Fellow

i got these two lines in my muttrc, maybe they're usefull.

set mbox=~/.mail/Inbox
set spoolfile=/var/mail/iphitus

been a while since ive used mutt tho...

#10 2005-06-20 00:31:03

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Well, I added the following to my muttrc

push c?

And now mutt starts up in the directory listing straight away, without needing the '-y' flag.
yay!

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

Board footer