You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-07 21:22:17

jack.mitchell
Website

[Solved] Compiling VirtualBox Modules with Xen Kernel

I recently bought a VPS with Archlinux which runs under Xen. It came pre-installed with the Xen kernel from the AUR. I am trying to install VirtualBox on it to run a stripped down version of XP in which to put small game servers. However, when I come building the VirtualBox modules I run into an error. The log file shows:

Makefile:187: *** Error: unable to find the include directory for your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_INCL=<directory> and run Make again.  Stop.
cp: cannot stat `/tmp/vboxdrv-Module.symvers': No such file or directory
Makefile:112: *** Error: unable to find the include directory for your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_INCL=<directory> and run Make again.  Stop.
cp: cannot stat `/tmp/vboxdrv-Module.symvers': No such file or directory
Makefile:108: *** Error: unable to find the include directory for your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_INCL=<directory> and run Make again.  Stop.

Now, the package build [1] states that the kernel headers are also installed but I don't know where. I have checked /usr/src/ which only has the file vmlinuz as this is where headers are usually installed, yes?

So, any ideas or suggestions of which direction to take would be very helpful!

[1] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=16087

EDIT: The error is the same if either virtualbox-ose or -bin is used.

EDIT: I have also tried re-building the kernel to see if the header files had been removed from the pre-made image.

Last edited by jack.mitchell (2011-06-08 18:47:04)

#2 2011-06-08 18:46:41

jack.mitchell
Website

Re: [Solved] Compiling VirtualBox Modules with Xen Kernel

Ok I fixed it, in the Xen package build there was a line to uncomment if you wanted to also install the headers.

My bad.

Board footer