You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-04 05:45:45

TwiNight

[Solved] Error mounting NTFS/FAT partitions in Arch Linux

Recently I installed Arch Linux - with KDE as DE.

Whenever I try to mount Windows partitions, I get following error message :

e.g. While mounting "Music And Movies" I get -

"An error occurred while accessing 'Music And Movies', the system responded: org.freedesktop.Udisks.Error.Failed: Error creating moint point: No such file or directory"

cfdisk (util-linux 2.19.1)

Disk Drive: /dev/sda
                                                                        Size: 500107862016 bytes, 500.1 GB
                                                               Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 60801

Name                       Flags                     Part Type               FS Type                             [Label]                          Size (MB)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        sda1                       Boot                       Primary                vfat                                                                              156.29               
                                                                                     Unusable                                                                                 1.01             
        sda2                       Boot                       Primary                ntfs                                [RECOVERY]                          13149.15             
                                                                                     Unusable                                                                                 2.10             
        sda3                       Boot                       Primary                ntfs                                                                              272045.71           
                                                              Logical                Free Space                                                                           2.10             
        sda5                       NC                         Logical                ntfs                                [Music And Movies]                 85899.35             
                                                              Logical                Free Space                                                                           0.57           
        sda6                       NC                         Logical                ntfs                                [Data]                                      53687.58           
        sda7                       NC                         Logical                jfs                                                                                   30065.82             
                                                              Logical                Free Space                                                                           43958.43

Last edited by TwiNight (2011-06-05 05:59:41)

#2 2011-06-04 06:06:16

TwiNight

Re: [Solved] Error mounting NTFS/FAT partitions in Arch Linux

Well, I found the solution. After a little head-scratching and searching around, I found out that the "media" folder in Root folder was not present. So I manually created it and it worked like a charm.

So I guess I should mark this thread as solved, but I want to know How that folder could have been deleted in the first place. Any idea?

#3 2011-06-04 14:11:01

twilight0
Website

If you mount them through fstab, well obviously you have to have a /media/something directory in the first place. If you mount them with udev /media directory is automatically created. Please change the topic title to [Solved] so that future users will notice.

Proud Arch Linux user since 2007.

#4 2011-06-09 12:04:30

Bubla
Website

I have just solved my problem thanks to this post.
And I also wonder what has happened to the /media folder since I am pretty sure that I have been able to mount USBs somehow earlier than this problem triggered.
I use Gnome, so it probably isn't either of the Gnome or KDE thing.

Board footer