You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-09 21:07:51

Xi0N
Website

Problems with pacman

I am facing some serious problems with pacman:
If i "Suy", i never get any package upgraded, but that is not the worst: Its like if pacman does not remember any package previously installed: Whenever I try to install anything, i am asked to install every dependency, and, after accepting, i always get erros like "Cannot install XXXX file already exist / No packages were installed (upgraded)".......
I see some posts giving info about repairing pacman but they are quite old, and some of them actually fail.
BTW, I usually use yaourt (i love how it handles aur updates) and pacman-cage..... since this is a really sensitive part of the system, i prefer to ask for advice before messing it up even more.... i would hate to have to reinstall everything.... can you guys help me? (Even some apps started failing because of using the --force option of pacman)

Thank you

P.S.: I cannot avoid comparing my current status to a Windows system that got infected by a virus xD... funny....

Last edited by Xi0N (2011-06-09 21:09:42)

#2 2011-06-09 21:17:37

karol
Archivist

Re: Problems with pacman

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=56373 <- this is how you deal with "Cannot install XXXX file already exist / No packages were installed (upgraded)"
http://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/ <- grab a fresh mirrorlist and see if you get any updates this time

#3 2011-06-09 21:19:19

anonymous_user

#4 2011-06-09 23:40:42

falconindy
Developer
Website

I usually use yaourt (i love how it handles aur updates) and pacman-cage..... since this is a really sensitive part of the system,

I can't help but laugh at this juxtaposition.

#5 2011-06-10 05:04:17

Xi0N
Website

falconindy wrote:

I usually use yaourt (i love how it handles aur updates) and pacman-cage..... since this is a really sensitive part of the system,

I can't help but laugh at this juxtaposition.

Ok, so,... how to handle automatically aur packages plus their updates easily? I mean, with yaourt, it seems as if they were packages from another repo (somehow, they are)... and this mess has been caused by me, most probably, not by yaourt....

#6 2011-06-10 05:47:04

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Xi0N wrote:

Ok, so,... how to handle automatically aur packages plus their updates easily?

Expecting to handle them "automatically" is going to cause you nothing but grief. With Arch, you are responsible for your system. If you choose to install packages from the user repository, then you are taking on an additional responsibility to manage that part of your system accordingly. The various tools will only get you so far...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2011-06-10 06:15:27

tomk
Forum Fellow

My guess is that pacman-cage is responsible for your situation - it's been known to eat local databases before. I'd recommend you stop using it, rebuild your database as suggested above, and see how you go from there.

IMO pacman-cage was never required, and certainly is not now, given the constant improvements in pacman's performance.

#8 2011-06-10 06:21:52

Xi0N
Website

I have to say a word supporting yaourt: I know most of you dislike it and bla bla... but I find it particularly useful because of the function I mentioned before. I asked for an alternative not sarcastically: I am here to learn: If you know of any other option, you are welcome. Besides, i have been using it in 4 or five machines for the last couple of years, and i NEVER had any problem with it - and I certainly dont consider this problem being caused by it.

Anyway, as you suggest, I will stop using pacman-cage smile

Last edited by Xi0N (2011-06-10 06:22:17)

Board footer