You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-19 16:31:46

ganja_guru

Windows on (Sata) Raid 0, linux on PATA

i have windows installed on two drives in a raid0 setup..linux doesnt recognize these two drives as a single drives and i instead get

sda sdb

and i have another regular IDE drive  : hda

ive heard that hardware raid on linux is a pain, and i dont really want to mess with the raid0 setup, so i want to  install linux on the PATA..my questions are..

1) i want to install the bootloader on the MBR of the PATA drive..is this ok?

2) what options do i need to set in LILO so that it boots Windows properly...will

other=/dev/sda work?

if LILO cant do this , can GRUB or any other bootloader successfully boot the raid0 drive?

thanks!

#2 2005-06-19 16:54:09

paranoos

Re: Windows on (Sata) Raid 0, linux on PATA

do you have /dev/md0? as far as i know, that's how raid drives show up. sda and sdb should still be separate, in case you want to reformat them!

#3 2005-06-19 23:57:45

ganja_guru

no i dont think i have md0, cause i havent installed the drivers in linux for hardware raid..(cause theyre crap)

#4 2005-06-20 02:10:17

keevn7
Website

ganja_guru wrote:

(cause theyre crap)

You can affirm this because of use or hear-say?

#5 2005-06-20 08:47:22

ganja_guru

well they just plain dont work...look into most popular RAID manufacturer's websites, like promise,via,silicon image, and you will usually find terribly outdated drivers, usually only for specific distro's...(the best ive seen is suse 8.0 and RH9)...if youre lucky they *might* have *partial* open source drivers..which usually never compile due to some vague reason..(usually theyre also too outdated)

and when we speak about hardware raid, most manufaturers actually implement a sort of pseudo-hardware raid, where you might be enabling raid0 in the bios, but still need drivers for the OS to recognize the two drives as a single drive..in other words 'software' raid..

so since i have windows installed in raid0 on a so called hardware raid(its a via card), im stuck and am forced to install linux on an IDE drive..all i need to know is whether ill be able to dual boot without hassles..

Board footer