You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-19 15:20:07

kcy29581

Dustbin gets deleted, why?

Hi all,

why is it that the posts that end up in Dustbin get deleted?

Dust/troll-bin
This read-only forum is primarily used for spam and improper posts, reminding all users what are not wanted here in Arch Forums.

That's the description for Dustbin. How exactly does it "remind all users what are not wanted here in Arch Forums"?

There is no spoon in Arch...

#2 2005-06-19 15:28:41

ozar

Re: Dustbin gets deleted, why?

I've been curious about that, too.  The dustbin seems a bit pointless considering the length of time improper posts remain in it.

Just my thoughts on it... thanks!  smile

oz

#3 2005-06-19 15:48:44

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Posts are moved to dustbin to remind the original poster that they need to adjust their attitude, and to remind other users not to bother to respond to such trash. Once the topic that they were posted to has died out, topics in the dust-bin don't really apply anymore (they're out of context).

Also, frequent misposters tend to like the attention they get. We don't want a permanent wall of fame for such people to brag about!

Dusty

#4 2005-06-19 17:07:41

kcy29581

Dusty wrote:

Also, frequent misposters tend to like the attention they get. We don't want a permanent wall of fame for such people to brag about!

Dusty

hmm.. I see what you mean. But I also take the Dustbin as a place where people can see how much of a prat the "dustbin poster" is. Anyone can take it in a different way though.

About reminding the original poster to "straighten up": some people can be lost causes. If the Dustbin was 99% from one user (obviously the Dustbin would have more than a few posts in it) then it becomes clear that that user must be dealt with directly. I would think that using the Dustbin as ammunition would be best.

Just my ideas

#5 2005-06-19 17:26:04

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

kcy29581 wrote:
Dusty wrote:

Dusty

hmm.. I see what you mean. But I also take the Dustbin as a place where people can see how much of a prat the "dustbin poster" is. Anyone can take it in a different way though.

or give other idiots bad ideas.

... some people can be lost causes.....

your exactly right.

This has been discussed very recently and the verdict is to maintain "embarrassment" through a logical median of time between "ineffectiveness" and "stardom"... And problematic posters WILL be dealt with.

#6 2005-06-19 18:26:27

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Yeah - I recently deleted a dustbin post that was forum spam.  The reason was that people may still see the spam there and go to the links in question...

IMHO, the dustbin works much like a "probation" - throw a post there and after a while, remove it for good behavior.

#7 2005-06-19 19:00:28

ozar

phrakture wrote:

Yeah - I recently deleted a dustbin post that was forum spam.  The reason was that people may still see the spam there and go to the links in question...

IMHO, the dustbin works much like a "probation" - throw a post there and after a while, remove it for good behavior.

Yep, I agree with that.  Spam-posts should probably be deleted immediately, while troll-posts should be placed in the bin for a period.

I was on another board last night and some book seller signed up and immediately began posting ads for his books in every forum.  You wouldn't want that in the bin.   roll

oz

#8 2005-06-19 19:08:02

kcy29581

fair enough, you're right for not wanting spam stuck in the dustbin. All boards deal with it differently: others just delete the spam address, but the reason I started the post was because of people just being plain idiotic, not spamatic (word I just made up...)

I guess it's because we don't actually see what happens to those that "break the rules". But then others would say its not "correct" to publicly humiliate them. Well... they started it and I'm all up for finishing it!

#9 2005-06-19 21:57:09

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

maybe we should call it The Cooler, rather than the Dustbin then

#10 2005-06-19 22:40:42

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

#11 2005-06-20 04:41:39

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

kcy29581 wrote:

Anyone can take it in a different way though.

That's the point allowing any types of view/liking/intention to take it as they want. Because a human mind always looks at everything from two sides, good and bad, and tries to finalize what to do. When something match the both sides at the same time, the mind goes in circle/loop..... get confused and become "afraid" of taking any direct action. That's the affect of the dust/troll-bin.

Markku

#12 2005-06-20 06:58:45

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

rasat wrote:

Because a human mind always looks at everything from two sides, good and bad, and tries to finalize what to do. When something match the both sides at the same time, the mind goes in circle/loop..... get confused and become "afraid" of taking any direct action. That's the affect of the dust/troll-bin.

Umm..What?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#13 2005-06-20 15:05:54

ozar

cactus wrote:
rasat wrote:

Because a human mind always looks at everything from two sides, good and bad, and tries to finalize what to do. When something match the both sides at the same time, the mind goes in circle/loop..... get confused and become "afraid" of taking any direct action. That's the affect of the dust/troll-bin.

Umm..What?

That confused me, too...   smile

oz

#14 2005-06-20 15:10:43

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Penguin wrote:

Techno kitty on sports bike!

#15 2005-06-20 16:24:46

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

cactus wrote:

Umm..What?

I think he meant it towards the offending poster. Originally he/she would think its funny until they notice it in the TB and realize its bad, hence "confusion" and "being afraid" to do it again.

Board footer