You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-05 15:34:08

Mmarzex

Grub won't install on 2nd gen MacBook installation

Grub won't install on 2nd gen macbook
I'm trying to install arch on my 2nd gen MacBook the install goes fine up until it is trying to install grub and then it gives me an error saying it cAnt be installed to the partition of the install I try on other partitions on the hard drive but it still won't install.

Now some background, I have my main os x system installed on a solid state drive with all the user files on a 500gb hard drive I partitioned the 500gb one to 400 for the user folder and about 100 for arch. I don't know if maybe the way I have my hard drives setup may have something to do with it but I'm out of ideas at this point.

I'm using refit as a boot loader but I just can't get grub to install so I can boot arch everything else works fine though.

#2 2011-06-06 20:17:01

Mmarzex

Re: Grub won't install on 2nd gen MacBook installation

I think it is an issue with grub 2 not installing right. From what I have read legacy grub will work but how do I go about installing that instead during installation?

#3 2011-06-09 09:13:50

punkforpez

The only way I could get my MacBook Pro 7,1 to boot Arch was through legacy grub and installing it manually.  I am not sure if the problem you are having is related to your SSD or not though.  I have no practical experience with SSD.  I am still somewhat new to Arch but I hope this will be of some help.

Were you syncing rEFIt during the installation process? What I did was:
1. Create a partition in OS X with Disk Utility.
2. Reboot and sync rEFIt.
3. Reboot and load the Arch LiveCD.
4. Setup my partitions with parted (/dev/sda3 for /, /dev/sda4 for /home)
5. Reboot again and sync rEFIt.
6. Reboot into Arch LiveCD and install (stopping at Install Bootloader)
7. Reboot again and sync rEFIt (last time!)
8. Chroot into the new Arch Install off the LiveCD and manually install grub (legacy) like so:
    a. grub
    b. root (hd0,2)    for /dev/sda3
    c. setup (hd0)     which I should point out was /dev/sda, something I was advised against doing, but this was the only setting that worked.
    d. quit and umount all the chroot business and then reboot

I must have chroot'd into and reinstalled Arch several dozen times before I finally came across all of this info and got it to work.  I am not near my home computer right now but when I get to it tomorrow I will provide you with some links that helped me through all of this if you need.  Also if this method (or another) ends up working for you and you run into kernel panic issues when you are able to boot it, I have a possible solution to help you get past those too.

Putting Arch on my MBP was one hell of a process but I'm glad I rode it through to the end.  Best of luck to ya!

Reg. #535631

#4 2011-06-11 13:55:21

Mmarzex

punkforpez wrote:

The only way I could get my MacBook Pro 7,1 to boot Arch was through legacy grub and installing it manually.  I am not sure if the problem you are having is related to your SSD or not though.  I have no practical experience with SSD.  I am still somewhat new to Arch but I hope this will be of some help.

Were you syncing rEFIt during the installation process? What I did was:
1. Create a partition in OS X with Disk Utility.
2. Reboot and sync rEFIt.
3. Reboot and load the Arch LiveCD.
4. Setup my partitions with parted (/dev/sda3 for /, /dev/sda4 for /home)
5. Reboot again and sync rEFIt.
6. Reboot into Arch LiveCD and install (stopping at Install Bootloader)
7. Reboot again and sync rEFIt (last time!)
8. Chroot into the new Arch Install off the LiveCD and manually install grub (legacy) like so:
    a. grub
    b. root (hd0,2)    for /dev/sda3
    c. setup (hd0)     which I should point out was /dev/sda, something I was advised against doing, but this was the only setting that worked.
    d. quit and umount all the chroot business and then reboot

I must have chroot'd into and reinstalled Arch several dozen times before I finally came across all of this info and got it to work.  I am not near my home computer right now but when I get to it tomorrow I will provide you with some links that helped me through all of this if you need.  Also if this method (or another) ends up working for you and you run into kernel panic issues when you are able to boot it, I have a possible solution to help you get past those too.

Putting Arch on my MBP was one hell of a process but I'm glad I rode it through to the end.  Best of luck to ya!

Thanks that worked.

#5 2011-06-11 17:35:22

punkforpez

Good deal, glad to hear it!

Reg. #535631

Board footer