You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-11 16:44:42

lilsirecho
Veteran

Modify "live" cd from existing .iso

Many posts direct interest in making "live" devices with personal preferences in Arch packages.

One possible method to utilize existing "live" CD/DVD .iso's is to uitilize the isomaster program to modify them as desired.EDIT:(non-hybrid output)

This program permits extracting and/or adding packages to an existing .iso and permits saving the result in a new .iso.  These are CD/DVD compatible.

This approach allows the user to take advantage of the boot params provided in the original .iso and permits the changes to be made.

It should permit several iterations to accomodate later desired additions/changes.

Perhaps this has been done already?  How well does it work?

Last edited by lilsirecho (2011-06-11 20:22:36)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2011-06-11 16:54:23

karol
Archivist

Re: Modify "live" cd from existing .iso

There are many ways to alter the iso or create a new one. You can try for yourself http://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sort … =&limit=50

#3 2011-06-11 19:35:11

mhertz

Just a quick heads-up on that isomaster dosen't retain the usb-bootable part of hybrid-iso's like arch's official isos...

To fix, then install syslinux and run 'isohybrid <filename.iso>'.

I myself always changes the official arch install iso's to make them fully unattended by copying my automatic aif config to the iso and setting it up to run from /etc/rc.local...

Isomaster is nice if you want a gui app, but I preffer to just mount the iso, copy the content over, make changes and remake the iso afterwards...

#4 2011-06-11 20:17:46

lilsirecho
Veteran

mhertz:     Aware that the hybrid is not retained.  I re-stated CD/DVD several times to emphasize it makes CD/DVD .iso.

Thanks for a more definitive statement.  My outline was for the ususal Live CD modification which is commonly  posted about.

Basically, I felt that rather than start from scratch, work the problem backwards from a fully completed Live .iso to that which the user desires.

Thanks for the comments.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer