You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-11 09:07:45

awayand

[SOLVED] aur -git packages

What is the deal with the -git packages in aur? Does that mean that if a package gets committed daily, I could run "$ yaourt -S package-git" daily and get an up-to-date version of a package?

Last edited by awayand (2011-06-13 01:15:25)

#2 2011-06-11 09:24:25

Ramses de Norre

Re: [SOLVED] aur -git packages

Those packages take snapshots from a git repo. So indeed, if commits are made everyday you could rebuild it everyday as well.

#3 2011-06-11 11:30:56

awayand

I see. Are all aur-packages installed via pacman therefore not included in the "up-to-date" check when running pacman -Sy?

In other words, do I have to check manually if a new package from aur is available?

#4 2011-06-11 11:32:58

karol
Archivist

awayand wrote:

I see. Are all aur-packages installed via pacman therefore not included in the "up-to-date" check when running pacman -Sy?

In other words, do I have to check manually if a new package from aur is available?

Please read the wiki about AUR. Pacman does not check the AUR, only the official repos.

#5 2011-06-11 12:19:57

SS4

awayand wrote:

What is the deal with the -git packages in aur? Does that mean that if a package gets committed daily, I could run "$ yaourt -S package-git" daily and get an up-to-date version of a package?

Yes, but if you intend to update it daily then you'd be better off maintaining it yourself instead letting the AUR do it. IIRC the AUR package will download the entire git tree each time you build the packages which is a considerable bandwidth (and by extension time) hog.

Rauchen verboten

#6 2011-06-11 12:25:40

jac
Website

SS4 wrote:

IIRC the AUR package will download the entire git tree each time you build the packages which is a considerable bandwidth (and by extension time) hog.

It shouldn't, if you build in the same directory as the last one. The prototype PKGBUILD file for git has this in it:

if [ -d $_gitname ] ; then
    cd $_gitname && git pull origin
    msg "The local files are updated."
  else
    git clone $_gitroot $_gitname
  fi

That means it tries to just update the git repo if it already exists, instead of re-cloning it. The other version controlled packages have similar things in them.

#7 2011-06-11 12:26:55

SS4

jac wrote:
SS4 wrote:

IIRC the AUR package will download the entire git tree each time you build the packages which is a considerable bandwidth (and by extension time) hog.

It shouldn't, if you build in the same directory as the last one. The prototype PKGBUILD file for git has this in it:

else
  fi

That means it tries to just update the git repo if it already exists, instead of re-cloning it. The other version controlled packages have similar things in them.

True, I should have been clearer.

The OP would appear to be using yaourt so would have to change the directory it uses from /tmp

Rauchen verboten

#8 2011-06-12 13:12:20

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

SS4 wrote:
jac wrote:
SS4 wrote:

else
  fi

True, I should have been clearer.

The OP would appear to be using yaourt so would have to change the directory it uses from /tmp

Which should be solved by NOT using yaourt (esp for git packages). yaourt simply compares version numbers, which doesn't work very well with CVS-based packages since once the PKGBUILD works fine (and until the project updates their build instructions) the pkgver doesn't need changing at all.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2011-06-12 15:55:31

awayand

undestood. thanks for all the clarifications! Do I have to mark this thread as solved? I am guessing not, as this was not really a "fix it" question...

#10 2011-06-12 22:43:57

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Yes please, if your question has been answered marking as [solved] helps keep the boards clean.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer