You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-12 20:07:38

zomzilla

installation with wifi: how exactly do i install the drivers?

hi: i intend to install arch on my laptop but i have an issue with internet: i can use the ethernet port (which is always detected fine by default drivers) but then i have to balance my laptop up next to the router. i would rather use wireless: but i need the broadcom-wl driver.

when exactly do i install it?!

i find this part of the wiki very vague: can someone be so generous as to provide explicit instructions as to how to install these drivers? inclusing what i need on the media etc.

thank you in advance

zom

#2 2011-06-12 20:42:56

jgreen1tc

Re: installation with wifi: how exactly do i install the drivers?

Try these instructions

Then install this package from the AUR with yaourt

edit: A hint that got me in a little trouble at first (im still a little new) - do *not* just read the code part of the instructions and copy it into your terminal. Read the instructions *very* thoroughly, multiple times if needed, until you understand not only what to do, but *why* you are doing it and what will happen when you're doing it.

Last edited by jgreen1tc (2011-06-12 20:48:57)

#3 2011-06-12 20:58:15

Austin25

You probably need to find out which wifi card you have, and then get the appropriate driver package. Most likely you will either need to use the ABS to make your drivers,  or make an AUR helper in the ABS and install it though that.

Huh, that actually worked. Neat-o.

#4 2011-06-12 21:30:13

tomk
Forum Fellow

I'd recommend the ethernet balancing act - you'll get the install done quickly, sort out your wl driver, and then you can pull the plug.

#5 2011-06-12 22:08:46

aparthia

If it's one of the drivers supported by a newer kernel I would recommend using a newer ISO, it should be said that these are development releases, they have been rather stable for me, but LVM and cryptsetup needs to be run before running /arch/setup and you need to adjust grub. Otherwise try the Archboot project: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … t_Releases, this features rather new software lessening the need for a netinstall.

#6 2011-06-13 16:15:34

perbh

tomk wrote:

I'd recommend the ethernet balancing act - you'll get the install done quickly, sort out your wl driver, and then you can pull the plug.

+10!!!

#7 2011-06-13 19:30:51

zomzilla

hmmmm i thought i'd replied already but hey.

i'll do a core install then update i think smile makes it easier (though a bit slower) for a nob like me

thanks all

Board footer