You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-19 00:18:52

thomas23

ethernet card - work in install, not after

Hello guys,

I'm trying to set up a server on a Compaq Deskpro EN Series SSF (PII 400). I've install ArchLinux the FTP way and it have worked well. But afer the second reboot, total network blackout. I tried to load the module of my ethernet card by rc.conf, no changes. I think it may be a matter of module option. But I don't know what option might be good.

If there is a way to see how the install script of ArchLinux configures the ethernet card (by the automatic way) this problem might be solved quickly.

The key question here is : Why does it work during the installation, but not after the second reboot.

P.S. : I had the same problem with Mandrake with the same computer.

#2 2005-06-19 02:07:42

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: ethernet card - work in install, not after

Nobody ever reads the "about" page, eh?

ArchLinux does nothing automatically - it hides details... it's also for the experienced linux user.

You need to know
a) the correct module for your network card
b) how to configure a network

after that, a quick glance at /etc/rc.conf should make it apparent how to do it.

again: arch does nothing automatically

#3 2005-06-19 02:57:10

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Check also the wiki for info on network support, and you might also be interested in lshwd, a program that can detect the ethernet module and some other stuff for you.

#4 2005-06-19 21:13:37

scrooge

i got this problem too....just load 8139too module instead of 8139cp! that's it  smile

#5 2005-06-20 01:12:57

thomas23

I still don't understand why it my network was working the first boot and not the second one :oops: but anyway, I solve this problem by properly configuring rc.conf so hotplug is able to install the ethernet card before the network loads and that's it!  big_smile Long live to hotplug!

Board footer