You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-25 09:09:08

wolfdogg

[SOVLED] kde seems to freeze now and then

i have the latest version of KDE installed, and it runs very smooth most of the time.  i installed it only several days ago.
my desktop, when im hard on it, seems to freeze, and i say seems, because the mouse will still move, but i cant access anything on it.  it only happens when i multi task, and rarely at that.  usually when i click once too many times on something when its processing a request.

any suggestions, or suspects?

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-06-13 23:03:50)

Node.js, PHP Software Architect and Engineer (Full-Stack/DevOps)
GitHub  | LinkedIn

#2 2011-05-25 09:49:08

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOVLED] kde seems to freeze now and then

Assuming it's on the machine mentioned in your signature, i would say that it is more than capable of running kde.

So to start off, first take a look at /var/log/everything.log, and see if there are any entries at the time when the freeze occurs.

Also see if you are using the proper video drivers.

PS: Don't click multiple times on something that is being processed tongue

#3 2011-05-25 11:16:43

cylverbak

Sometime in the last 4 days my KDE has started doing the same thing. I'm wondering if there is a memory leak in one of the updates? Typing "free" in a terminal is showing almost all of my ram filled as well as almost all of my swap space! I "solved" the problem by scavenging another 1G of ram - boosting my total ram to 2G. This is a Pentium IV 2.5 I think and I've been happily running with the original 1G ever since I installed arch a year or so ago.

As a side note, aMSN is logging in and out on a very frequent basis starting about the same time I. No idea what's triggering that and I don't think it was one of the packages updated recently.

#4 2011-05-25 22:04:32

wolfdogg

thanks x33a,
yes thats the system in my signature.
i
have nothing in the everything.log, its empty.  and im using nouveau for a geforece 8400gs.  i will soon upgrade to the proper nvidia drivers, i was following the wiki to try nouveau first since it takes little to no configuration for the card.  now that i see what it could do, i want to upgrade. 

i notice 2 different things with my graphics, the cube desktop, when i select desktop 2 and the cube spins, works awesomely fast, the graphics card handles it no problem, but i have my windows set to wobbly windows, and transclucent, and blur background, when i move the window around, its not so fast, and skips around.  my video card should be able to handle that with flying colors. 

i guess the window features are much harder on the drivers than the cube animation. 

a minute ago, i was accessing a video file across the network, and i opened up the notifications and jobs to get more details while i was playing the video, i MIGHT have clicked on it twice being impatient, and the screen locked again.  the mouse still worked, and i left it to see if it would come back, the audio was still playing on the video for the next 10 minutes when the video ended i hit the reset button on the tower.

i check my memory free space right now and i have 3/5th of my memory available, i will try to keep an eye on it more often to see if its a cause.

not sure where to go from here.

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-05-25 22:04:55)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#5 2011-05-27 09:53:10

x33a
Forum Fellow

I would suggest that you first try the nvidia binary driver, and see if the issue goes away. If not, then we'll have to look at other places.

#6 2011-05-27 20:57:59

wolfdogg

ok, sounds good.  it hasnt happened in a while now either, i think that was the last time it happened.  i havent run any videos though, i have just been using the browser and configuring a lamp server and testing it.  i will report back after i install the nvidia driver.

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#7 2011-06-03 21:27:23

wolfdogg

it happened again, when i was running vlc media player, cant recall exactly what i was doing.  i might have been dragging files, or using the vizsualization and dragging a window. 

so i upgraded to the nvidia install last week after removing any trace of nouveau and its dependencies.

since i have had MAJOR inprovements, the graphics are flawlessly fast.  BUT, i did have a system lockup atleast twice since then, atleast one of the times was when i drug a window into the corner to half size it.   

i dotn know what kind of mods i can do to the nvidia to fine tune it, i dont really want to tweak the default setup, unless there is a specific adjustment that can be made, or tested, to rectify the locking up.   im open to suggestions

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-06-03 21:27:42)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#8 2011-06-04 07:15:35

x33a
Forum Fellow

wolfdogg wrote:

it happened again, when i was running vlc media player, cant recall exactly what i was doing.  i might have been dragging files, or using the vizsualization and dragging a window. 

so i upgraded to the nvidia install last week after removing any trace of nouveau and its dependencies.

since i have had MAJOR inprovements, the graphics are flawlessly fast.  BUT, i did have a system lockup atleast twice since then, atleast one of the times was when i drug a window into the corner to half size it.   

i dotn know what kind of mods i can do to the nvidia to fine tune it, i dont really want to tweak the default setup, unless there is a specific adjustment that can be made, or tested, to rectify the locking up.   im open to suggestions

Maybe it's a hardware problem? I am saying this because a few days ago my 8600gt died sad

I suddenly faced a lot of system freezes, which could be resolved only through a system reset. I tried tons of tricks: downgrade udev, kernel, nvidia driver, no change. Then i tried an old fedora live cd, and everything seemed to work fine for a few minutes, but then everything went nuts. Even the bios screen started flickering. I took out my card and saw three destroyed capacitors, and some on the verge of being destroyed.

So maybe you should take out your card, and see signs of any physical damage?

#9 2011-06-08 07:24:02

wolfdogg

thanks for the replies.

i saw a bulging cap on my other one, its possible.  i have seen bad nvidia cards.  the other one with the bulging capacitor does cause system lockups all the time, i have to use that pc for remote in only. this card is different than the other one.  i suppose i could switch it with a 3rd one i have over here.   

i dont have the problem enough to troubleshoot with though, so ill have to wait for it to happen again a few times.  i think it only happened once since i upgraded the nvidia drivers, and i may have made a config change since, not sure now.

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#10 2011-06-13 23:03:33

wolfdogg

well, nothing since.  so i guess the new drivers solved it.  im not sure why it did it that once.  possibly it will come back when i drive it too hard, whatever i did that time.

GitHub  | LinkedIn

Board footer