You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-13 03:04:10

slackcub

ALSA issue playing from different software and HDMI

Hello everyone.  I'm having some issues with my sound.  I'm going to post them all here, in case they're related. 

First off the hardware/software info. 

I'm on my Gateway NV53 laptop (should this topic be in the laptop section not media? )

I'm running alsa version 1.0.24.1-1

aplay -l gives me:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: CONEXANT Analog [CONEXANT Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: Conexant Digital [Conexant Digital]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

These are my issues:

1) I can only have sound from one program at a time, and if I want to have it from a different program, I have to close that one that is using it currently (eg. If I have kaffeine running, I don't get any sound from Firefox, system, etc.)

2) If I want to have output through my S/PDIF port, I have to have it plugged in at start up, and then I will never get sound out of the onboard speakers until I restart my computer.  I've tried leaving the port empty at startup, then later plugged something in followed by restarting alsa.  this doesn't help. Same for having something plugged in at startup, unplugging it later and restarting alsa. I read on the wiki and changed the 'IEC958 Playback Switch' to true, but there was no 'IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA' line to change the value for.  This did not help either.

3) Whenever I have something plugged into the HDMI port, I get the video output, but no sound. I ran 'aplay -D plughw:1,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' and the test was successful, so I added a ~/.asoundrc file to make the HDMI default and rebooted. This did not help. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I use KDM to log in. 

When I go into alsamixer, and change the sound card to the HDMI one, the only option that is there is S/PDIF and I can just mute and unmute it, nothing else.   I hope this makes sense and I provided enough information. Thanks in advance for the help.

David

#2 2011-06-14 00:30:15

slackcub

Re: ALSA issue playing from different software and HDMI

well, I think I got the HDMI issue solved.  Apparently the one program I was using to test the sound (pianobar) always outputs to S/PDIF or the built-in speakers because there is no video.  Still having the other issues listed above.  Anyone know what could be causing these or can point me in the right direction?

Board footer