You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-12 23:56:10

vendion
Website

Powerbook G4 fails to boot on first boot

I posted this in the "Other Architectures" sub forum but it seems that sub forum is neglected.  The fact that my first post is the second result from a Google search isn't very reassuring to me...  I installed Arch on my powerbook G4 using the 2011.3.5 installer and when I rebooted my system the boot process stopped at

Root-NFS: no NFS server address
VFS: Unabled to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

When I press the enter button nothing happens, I followed the installation guide on the Arch wiki Install Arch Linux PPC, I had to use the older method because the newer /arch/setup failed to see me hard drive even though mac-fdisk could see it.

I set my root partition as /dev/sda4 during the install process and didn't configure anything for a remote root partition.  I am really sorry for the double posting that I am doing but I really need some help getting this machine working again and would prefer if I can do it with Arch (I'm to impatient to fight Gentoo and don't like Debian based distros)

#2 2011-06-14 14:51:43

windscape

Re: Powerbook G4 fails to boot on first boot

Hi,

I don't have any experience with Arch on a Powerbook G4, but I do have a fair amount of Linux experience in general, and some with Linux on PowerPC 64-bit.

It would be helpful to see more of the kernel messages from the boot, particularly lines referring to the hard disk and attempts to mount filesystems. Please try to post more of the boot messages if possible. It might be best to take a picture of the boot messages after the system fails to boot, since you won't be able to obtain a boot log.

If you reboot using the Arch install CD and mount the root filesystem, could you grab the /etc/yaboot file, along with the partition listing from mac-fdisk?

#3 2011-06-15 01:41:10

vendion
Website

Re: Powerbook G4 fails to boot on first boot

Thank you for your reply at least this is not a hopeless endeavor...

Here is a photo of the boot screen when it stops
l8E9ms.jpg
(sorry for the poor resolution it was taken from my phone)

Here is my /etc/yaboot.conf

As for the partition layout here is a photo of the output from mac-fdisk...
RXxZas.jpg

If it helps any here is my fstab and mkinitcpio.conf as well

fstab

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
devpts                 /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
shm                    /dev/shm      tmpfs     nodev,nosuid        0      0

/dev/dvd    /media/dvd    auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide    0    0

/dev/sda3    swap    swap    defaults    0    0
/dev/sda4    /    ext3    defaults,noatime    0    0