You are not logged in.

#26 2011-06-14 04:56:21

vegan

Re: [SOLVED] getting repositories to work

Okay, I got pacman to work, and I updated the system and did what I thought was an install of Gnome. I typed in this:

pacman -S xorg gnome gnome-extra alsa-utils

So, I read some of the documentation about changing runlevels. That I'm supposed to edit the innittab, or something like that.

Okay, I returned to the beginner's guide and typed in this stuff:

# pacman -S xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-utils xorg-server-utils
# pacman -S mesa
# pacman -S xf86-video-nouveau

What do I do next?

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Richard Stallman giveth and I take away!

#27 2011-06-14 05:07:22

warenoso

vegan wrote:

Okay, I got pacman to work, and I updated the system and did what I thought was an install of Gnome. I typed in this:

pacman -S xorg gnome gnome-extra alsa-utils

So, I read some of the documentation about changing runlevels. That I'm supposed to edit the innittab, or something like that.

Okay, I returned to the beginner's guide and typed in this stuff:

# pacman -S xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-utils xorg-server-utils
# pacman -S mesa
# pacman -S xf86-video-nouveau

What do I do next?

Hi vegan , i would recommend the wiki as a first step, spend some time reading  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide  and then ask more questions.

#28 2011-06-14 05:26:53

vegan

Warenoso,

I appreciate your faith in me, but I'm lost. I went into the Arch Wiki, and read chapter 5.2.5, testing X

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … #Testing_X

I inputed the first four commands. The second one said the file didn't exist. I know I'm not describing the problem very well. Could you direct me to the right chapter?

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Richard Stallman giveth and I take away!

#29 2011-06-14 08:11:50

tomk
Forum Fellow

No offense, but imo you're not ready for Arch. Use another distro for a while, one that's intended for complete beginners. Bear in mind that I'm not just talking about your skill level here - your attitude is also completely incompatible with the Arch approach.

Just my €0.02 though - others may be happy to persevere with you.

#30 2011-06-14 14:30:14

vegan

Tom,

Please, see post 13, third line. Angry rather than critical and condescending.
Sorry.

#31 2011-06-14 15:06:40

Wey

Section 5.2.5 in the beginners guide helps you to verify you set up x correctly. note that the first four command you said you tried don't actually start x, but are prerequisites. Read the next paragraph on how to "Start X". Also note some commands in the wiki start with a "$" and some with a "#". The first type is supposed to be executed as a regular user (implying you already created one), the other type has to be executed with root privileges. Once you managed to verify x is startable, you probably want to use a display manager to start gnome. With gnome-extra, you already pulled in gdm, so you can read the wiki article on how activate it: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_Manager

#32 2011-06-15 05:59:13

vegan

So, the people who are trying to help me, want to make sure I've read thru the wiki, tried the codes, gone thru the troubleshooting, and then and only then, should I post to the list. Rather than posting to the list in the beginning? I think there was a miscommunication, because at first, the wiki looks a bit intimidating and there were things I didn't know how to do. Now, it is starting to make more sense, and I have encountered some success, so it is easier to make mistakes on my own, without asking for help.

There was an article in the LXF145 issue of Linux Format on Arch. It showed an easy way to install LXDE. I tried it and got into the desktop, so it seems that I'm very close to having a usable system, and I have made enormous progress in a very short period of time.

Thanks Wey, for your last post. That was helpful, too!

Okay, I used the daemon method to load the login manager, by modifying the /etc/rc.conf file, and it the login manager came up, but when I tried to log in as the user I added or as root, neither worked. Is there a way to get out of there and back to the command line, when I boot up? I looked at the troubleshooting section, and it didn't make sense, because my problem is not that the login manager won't appear, but that the login manager doesn't seem to be functioning properly. Maybe, there is a problem because I loaded two GUIs.

#33 2011-06-15 06:27:10

vegan

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=119864

Okay, I tried JasonWryan's advice to try to get the command line working from the forum post above. My GRUB menu has only Arch and Arch Fallback and when I hit C, it gives me a grub command line, not an Arch command line.

#34 2011-06-15 06:38:08

ewaller
Administrator

vegan wrote:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=119864

Okay, I tried JasonWryan's advice to try to get the command line working from the forum post above. My GRUB menu has only Arch and Arch Fallback and when I hit C, it gives me a grub command line, not an Arch command line.

Try an 'e' (for edit) instead of 'c' (for command)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#35 2011-06-15 06:39:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

You should really follow tomk's advice and find a distro for novices. I'd recommend Linux Mint. Spend some time getting to know how Linux works in an environment that is more forgiving.

In any event - you have solved your repo problem. Please mark this thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and appending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer