You are not logged in.

#26 2011-05-23 06:56:02

xiaq

Re: Arch reboots instead of shutting down.

CPUnltd wrote:

I use plymouth, and there is a fix that is mentioned in ArchWiki's plymouth page for this issue (if you're using plymouth tongue)...

I'm not using plymouth, but there's a hint on plymouth wiki page that it may be related to KMS. No further information have I found on the wiki page or through Google, though.

Last edited by xiaq (2011-05-23 06:56:20)

#27 2011-05-23 07:18:32

CPUnltd
Website

I have not seen any method of fixing this that involved KMS directly without dealing with plymouth (I've never had the issue without plymouth running)... though, my gut tells me that the answer is related to something added to the end of the boot command in menu.lst but I can't put my finger on exactly what you're supposed to put there... I feel like I've run across the info before, but can't be sure... at least not at the moment...

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

#28 2011-05-23 07:22:29

xiaq

CPUnltd wrote:

I have not seen any method of fixing this that involved KMS directly without dealing with plymouth (I've never had the issue without plymouth running)... though, my gut tells me that the answer is related to something added to the end of the boot command in menu.lst but I can't put my finger on exactly what you're supposed to put there... I feel like I've run across the info before, but can't be sure... at least not at the moment...

Thanks for the info. A little off-topic, that's called a kernel boot parameter (you may drop "kernel" or "boot" in the term).

#29 2011-05-23 07:25:15

CPUnltd
Website

not necessarily off topic, it still revolves around solving the issue of rebooting when the shutdown command is issued...

#30 2011-05-29 09:01:34

RufusD

For my setup I found a solution: Looks like my problems stemmed from an old installation of plymouth. So I got it fixed by removing /etc/rc.d/functions.d/plymouth.functions, which pacman didn't remove when uninstalling plymouth (I think pacman is actually not supposed to touch files in /etc/ when removing packages, but this is a problem anyway.)

Feel free to try moving the file to some other destination if you're afraid of removing it altogether

#31 2011-06-15 19:39:29

julian516

Add me to this thread.  I am a new Arch user who has had no problems doing the initial installation and configuration.  My hardware is a 15” laptop sold by System 76 as the Pangolin PanP4.  It is configured by System 76 to be Linux-friendly and it shipped with Ubuntu initially.

In my case Arch is launched using Grub2, which controls both Arch and Debian 6.0.  My 64-bit Arch kernel is 2.6.39-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMP.  My desktop is Xfce 4.8.  I use GDM to start Xfce.  Pacman -Qs does not turn up either Plymouth or slim if that is relevant.

Main Menu logout shows log out, shutdown, restart, suspend and hibernate.  Restart and Suspend work perfectly.  Shutdown does exactly what Restart does.  This is true both on AC and battery power.

I have consulted the Arch wiki, “Allow Users to Shutdown” and tried everything suggested there.  That has not been successful.  I found this thread and I have attempted various things suggested with no luck.

I might check for a kernel issue but being new I do not yet know how to back out of the present kernel and go to an older one.  Probably a good thing to know in any case, but that is another topic.

The shut-down situation is odd.  While Debian 6.0 remains a fixture, other distributions have come and gone.  All of them have shut-down and also shut-down and restarted as they should, whether from the GUI or the CLI.

I am out of ideas.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by julian516 (2011-06-21 22:19:59)

#32 2011-06-15 21:32:50

CPUnltd
Website

my issue has shown up again after the last kernel update... will try my usual fix and see what happens... likely post back soon...

#33 2011-06-21 22:14:19

Haptic

I have this issue on my Thinkpad T420 as well only when on the battery. Is it possible to mimic laptop behavior with the AC on just before shutdown?

#34 2011-06-22 01:34:03

xiaq

Haptic wrote:

I have this issue on my Thinkpad T420 as well only when on the battery. Is it possible to mimic laptop behavior with the AC on just before shutdown?

My problem has been resolved with (possibly) a kernel upgrade, but as I can remember it didn't depend on whether the laptop is on AC or battery.

Now this thread seems to be a "family" of problems of "Arch reboots instead of shutting down", all resulting from different causes... We can put up a website on that ;-)

#35 2011-06-22 01:43:45

CPUnltd
Website

The funny part is that it's still only 1 page long... tongue

#36 2011-06-22 06:56:58

Haptic

I've done some more testing to see if I could fix this rebooting after shutdown, but nothing has worked...
- Shuts down fine on Windows without  AC power
- Suspends/Resumes fine
- I've updated the BIOS (by 1 version number) and disabled all unnecessary things
- I've uninstalled laptop-mode-tools and tried but no success

It has to be something with ACPI (at least in my case), but I don't know what to do...

#37 2011-06-22 20:57:31

julian516

My initial post here turns out to have been misleading so I am withdrawing it.  I have been testing all afternoon.  Neither Xfce nor Gnome3 shut-down as they should.  I have tried various permutations of the halt, poweroff and shutdown commands with a variety of switches.  None of these works.

My apologies if I have mislead readers.

Last edited by julian516 (2011-06-24 21:24:12)

#38 2011-06-22 21:42:02

Haptic

I don't know if this is normal for others with this shutdown problem, but shutting the laptop down by holding the power button doesn't cause a reboot. It's not a safe shutdown but at least it doesn't reboot.

@juilian
It's kind of weird how that fixed it for you. It doesn't help much with people without a DE.

Edit: I grabbed this out of my everything.log. It doesn''t show anything significant other than the fact that it starts up again. sad

Jun 22 20:19:06 localhost init: Switching to runlevel: 0
Jun 22 20:19:08 localhost syslog-ng[799]: Termination requested via signal, terminating;
Jun 22 20:19:08 localhost syslog-ng[799]: syslog-ng shutting down; version='3.2.4'
Jun 22 20:19:52 localhost syslog-ng[823]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.2.4'

Last edited by Haptic (2011-06-23 04:52:52)

#39 2011-06-28 18:50:17

Haptic

I found found a fix to my rebooting issue at least.

Blacklisting ehci_hcd got rid of the rebooting on shutdown while on battery.

Anyone having this problem, even though this bug page isn't for the same problem, but I think the fix works for both as it did for me.
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33872

#40 2011-06-28 19:23:52

julian516

I have a solution that works on my machine.  In a nutshell a kernel upgrade to 2.39.2-1 has solved this problem.  My machine now reboots when it should and shuts-down when it should.

I installed Gnome3 in addition to Xfce to see if the DE makes any difference.  The problem has been solved with each of these environments.

Because I earlier spoke too quickly I tested first by shutting down from the CLI using:

shutdown -hP now

I did this 12 times, each of which worked.

Then I used the Xfce environment and then the Gnome3 alternative, shutting down with each of those 12 times.  They worked.

But did reboot now reboot?  So I repeated the entire thing with reboot, starting with:

shutdown -r now

Everything seems to work as it should, so the several posts pointing at a kernel issue seem to have been right.

Needless to say I do not want to fool with my new kernel too quickly, so now I have to learn how to pin that critter using pacman!

My thanks to the devs who solved this problem, at least for me and I hope it helps the OP & you!

#41 2011-06-28 19:35:36

CPUnltd
Website

With the number of different ways this issue could come up, I think a wiki page should be made... anyone else?

#42 2011-06-28 22:33:37

julian516

I really do not know how to edit a wiki.  If I did I might be willing to collaborate with others.  My various searches on this forum and using Google suggest that the problem is one of long-standing and it probably does have multiple causes involving both hardware and software.  So if the slot-machine throws the right combination we get to play detective!

For starters I really would like to know if my "solution" works for anyone but myself.

#43 2011-07-02 15:40:22

oded

Haptic wrote:

I found found a fix to my rebooting issue at least.

Blacklisting ehci_hcd got rid of the rebooting on shutdown while on battery.

Anyone having this problem, even though this bug page isn't for the same problem, but I think the fix works for both as it did for me.
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33872

I too was having the same problem on my laptop (Thinkpad X220),
rmmod pre shutdown (via rc.local.shutdown) works around this.

#44 2011-07-11 03:05:31

act28

I'm experiencing the same problem - only today. Fresh install of Arch 2 days ago was working fine up till this morning.
Arch and general linux noob so am not sure where or what to look for.
Tried shutdown -hP now, it instantly shuts down, and echos POWER OFF at the tty, and laptop restarts.

Hardware is Dell Vostro 3750 (i7), running KDE4/2.6.39-ARCH

#45 2011-07-11 05:26:49

CPUnltd
Website

First and foremost, act28... try all the things that worked for the rest of us and eliminate those as solutions.... if none work, let us know... we can go from there.  If any DO work, let us know too... so we don't wonder what happened.

#46 2011-07-11 20:32:17

julian516

A little clue, perhaps?

I installed a new Arch in order to achieve as pristine an Arch installation as I might contrive so that I could investigate this nagging problem further.

Uname -a returns:

Linux Home03 2.6.39-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jul 9 14:57:41 CEST 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Sure enough, "shutdown -h now" goes through the shutdown process and insists on rebooting.  Clicking Shut Down on my Xfce exit window does the same thing.  In fact any combination of switches I use with shutdown results in the same reboot behavior.  In a nutshell shutdown does not.

Thith doth driveth me nutth.

Man pages and the Arch wiki (three cheers!) both reference halt and poweroff.

So I did "man halt" and read a bit.

-f   will force halt, it will not call shutdown.
-p   when halting the system, switch off the power.
-i    when halting power off netcards.
-h   when halting, park drive heads.

So as SuperUser we do "halt -fihp"

And we power down exactly as we should.

I notice there also is a "poweroff", which at least in terms of switches seems interchangeable with halt.  Might this work?

As SuperUser "poweroff -fihp"

Yes, that works as well.  So now I am really curious, because the commonality in both of these relative to shutdown  is that -f switch which says "do not call shutdown."

So I went to  "man shutdown" one more time.

As we have seen “shutdown [-h or -P or -hP] now” is going to result in a reboot. But on that page there is also a -n switch, which “causes shutdown not to call init, but to kill all running processes itself ...”  I did not notice this earlier.

So we did “shutdown -nhP now”

This results in a display showing

“Home03 login: [253.518066] System halted.” 

I must then press the power button to shut off my system manually.  Note that the placement of -n appears to be sensitive to its position; if I do “shutdown -hPn” it appears that shutdown never reads the -n, it simply shuts down the system and reboots.

So what can a relatively new Archer like myself conclude?

The failure to shut down and power off properly has something to do with the apparent inability of shutdown to call and utilize either halt or poweroff as I assume it is supposed to do.  Absent that the power stays on and the system reboots.

For openers can someone else replicate my results?

Note that I have never seen this problem on any other Linux distro I have run.  Has Arch modified “shutdown” in some manner?  If not then what else is peculiar to Arch that might impact this?

If this helps a more knowledgeable Arch person to solve this puzzle I will be gratified.

#47 2011-08-13 03:33:39

pubby

I had this problem but fixed it by removing networkmanager and network-manager-applet. Posting it here as another possible solution.

Edit: Installed netcfg and problem came back. I'm guessing it's due to wireless network not shutting down. Any fixes?

Last edited by pubby (2011-08-13 05:01:59)

#48 2011-08-17 23:29:34

pubby

Bumping this.

#49 2011-08-18 13:06:07

julian516

Sorry for not responding pubby, I've been traveling for about three weeks.  In my case the problem solved itself!  As I report above I went for a time doing  "halt -fihp" as Root.  Not hardly elegant but it worked.  Then one day I absent-mindedly did the usual GUI shut down routine in Xfce and that worked!  And it has been working ever since.  My guess?  One of the devs got on this problem and solved it.  When I did a system update at some point I brought the solution along.

In my case I am running Xfce with network manager and the network manager applet.  Might it be worth your while to try reinstalling those and seeing what happens?  If you wold like details on my configuration I'll be happy to supply those.

#50 2011-08-18 21:04:57

pubby

"halt -fihp" is still rebooting. My system was very recently updated.

Currently I am using netcfg - reinstalling didn't fix. If I remove "net-profiles" from the daemon list then it will shutdown normally. Killing netcfg before I shutdown is not working

I am also using xfce, however it still reboots even if I don't start xfce.

Thanks for the reply!
Any other ideas?

Board footer