You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-18 02:27:04

Haptic

Cannot Boot From Removable Media (T420 UEFI+GPT)

Here is an outline of my problem.

Laptop model: T420

Formatted disk to GPT
Created EFI partition with GParted Live
Changed the BIOS setting for UEFI to use UEFI
Installed Windows (Left space for linux)

* Problems start below
I tried to boot GParted Live again to make some partitions again however, the CD will not boot
This problem is only present on the laptop, I tried the cd on my desktop and it ran fine
I decided to change the BIOS back to Legacy and now the CD boots, but while the kernel is loading, some things go haywire after seeing this TEST_READY_FAILED or something of that like
It didn't seem to like the Windows boot partition that it auto-creates since its probably done something UEFI specific (speculation)

I decided to screw GParted and tried to boot a testiso of archlinux (a recent one) and I got similar symptoms as Gparted live
On UEFI bios, the CD will not boot...
On Legacy bios, the CD boots, but I see the same TEST_READY_FAILED and the CD doesn't respond after the kernel waits 30 seconds for it
Like Gparted live, the CD works fine with my desktop, its just something wrong with my laptop.
However my desktop is just the normal BIOS with MBR.

Why will my CD's not boot with the UEFI BIOS? When I hit F12 to select the Boot Media, I see a list. When I select the CD to boot, the laptop just goes black and comes back to the list. I will lose my mind if I am unable to install Linux on my laptop.

I've done some searching around, but most problems people have are related around grub which I don't even have installed yet...

Last edited by Haptic (2011-06-18 02:28:13)

#2 2011-06-18 08:57:20

skodabenz
Banned

Re: Cannot Boot From Removable Media (T420 UEFI+GPT)

Haptic wrote:

Here is an outline of my problem.

Laptop model: T420

Formatted disk to GPT
Created EFI partition with GParted Live
Changed the BIOS setting for UEFI to use UEFI
Installed Windows (Left space for linux)

* Problems start below
I tried to boot GParted Live again to make some partitions again however, the CD will not boot
This problem is only present on the laptop, I tried the cd on my desktop and it ran fine
I decided to change the BIOS back to Legacy and now the CD boots, but while the kernel is loading, some things go haywire after seeing this TEST_READY_FAILED or something of that like

More specific info would be helpful.

It didn't seem to like the Windows boot partition that it auto-creates since its probably done something UEFI specific (speculation)

What are try to say exactly? That GParted formatted the EFISYS partition which Windows created?

I decided to screw GParted and tried to boot a testiso of archlinux (a recent one) and I got similar symptoms as Gparted live
On UEFI bios, the CD will not boot...
On Legacy bios, the CD boots, but I see the same TEST_READY_FAILED and the CD doesn't respond after the kernel waits 30 seconds for it
Like Gparted live, the CD works fine with my desktop, its just something wrong with my laptop.
However my desktop is just the normal BIOS with MBR.

The AIF (releng) isos do not yet support UEFI boot. Use Archboot iso instead (not 2011.05 but the one before that).

My new forum user/nick name is "the.ridikulus.rat" .

Board footer