You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-10 00:34:38

esuhl

Wine sound issues after update (Arch64)

I've had Spotify running under Wine for a while, but after a recent wine update it said that there was a "problem with your sound card" and running the audio test via winecfg failed.

I deleted ~/.wine and ran winecfg again and the audio test was successful... But when I ran it (or any other wine program) subsequently it failed.

I re-read the wiki and tried running "WINEARCH=win32 winecfg" instead and adding "export WINEARCH=win32" to ~/.bashrc, but that hasn't helped either.

A few days ago I set up a new PC and had the same problem, so I was expecting to see other people reporting it, but I can't find any mention of the issue, so I'm really stumped!

Can anyone suggest how I can find out the cause of the problem?

#2 2011-06-10 00:40:01

karol
Archivist

Re: Wine sound issues after update (Arch64)

What do you use for sound - alsa, oss ...?
The most recent change wrt sound involves not autoloading snd-pcm-oss anymore.

#3 2011-06-10 22:55:28

esuhl

karol wrote:

What do you use for sound - alsa, oss ...?

I use alsa...  I think!  Although I don't remember specifically having to set up sound when I installed Arch.  The XFCE mixer panel applet shows "HDA Intel (Alsa mixer)" in the sound card pull-down menu.

Since the Spotify instructions suggest selecting OSS in the winecfg, I did so - and didn't really expect it to work, but it was working fine like that for months.  Now the audio test (in winecfg) fails whether I select alsa, oss or jack.

karol wrote:

The most recent change wrt sound involves not autoloading snd-pcm-oss anymore.

Yes; the problems I'm having occurred after a wine update roughly two or three weeks ago.  The more recent changes to /etc/rc.conf and module loading don't seem to have made any difference to the issue.

It just seems really strange that the audio test works the first time I run winecfg with no ~/.wine profile...  And it's also odd that it just stopped working suddenly without me doing anything (as far as I know!) and that no one else seems to be having the problem, yet both of my Arch PCs are affected...

I've just discovered that if I delete ~./wine and never touch the audio tab in winecfg, Spotify works on both PCs.  If I click the audio tab, wine says that "There is no audio driver currently specified in the registry.  A recommended driver has been selected for you...".  If I apply the changes the audio fails every time whichever driver I choose.

Ideally I'd like to find out what's causing the problem so I can fix it and have winecfg working as it should be, but at least I have a workaround so I can listen to Spotify again...

#4 2011-06-12 19:19:02

smudge

Similar problem here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 87#p937887

This bug disappeared with wine 1.3.21 but it's back again with 1.3.22.

No idea what's going on (no error messages) but you could check your levels with alsamixer and see if anything changes when you click the audio tab.

#5 2011-06-12 20:10:29

dodo3773

After a recent update I had a similar problem. Not sure if you use gnome and have pulseaudio somewhere on your system. I think that is what screwed me up. All the sound from my game was gone. The solution for me was make sure to check alsa and oss boxes in winecfg the run the program like this

padsp wine whatever.exe

#6 2011-06-18 16:17:25

esuhl

smudge wrote:

Similar problem here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 87#p937887

This bug disappeared with wine 1.3.21 but it's back again with 1.3.22.

No idea what's going on (no error messages) but you could check your levels with alsamixer and see if anything changes when you click the audio tab.

I'm using Wine 1.3.22-1, but the sound levels in the mixer don't change when I select the audio tab (or do anything else with winecfg) and it's only sound in wine that stops working on my systems, so I think the issue in the link above is a different one.

dodo3773 wrote:

After a recent update I had a similar problem. Not sure if you use gnome and have pulseaudio somewhere on your system. I think that is what screwed me up. All the sound from my game was gone. The solution for me was make sure to check alsa and oss boxes in winecfg the run the program like this

padsp wine whatever.exe

Interesting... although I use XFCE rather than Gnome and don't use PulseAudio at all.  I briefly installed it on my main PC, but quickly uninstalled it.  It was never installed on the other affected PC.

I just tried installing Wine on my netbook and have exactly the same issue!  So that's three PCs now!  I can't believe that I'm the only one affected!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.  I might just have to avoid clicking the audio tab at all and hope that wine audio continues to work with the default settings...

Board footer