You are not logged in.

#26 2011-05-21 08:53:52

usbtopc

Re: PkgBrowser: A utility for browsing pacman databases and the AUR

Have to say, this is a great program, very convenient!

#27 2011-06-18 19:15:20

kachelaqa

there is an issue caused by a recent upgrade to the sip and python2-sip packages which affects pkgbrowser (and may also affect other pyqt applications).

as a temporary workaround, i would suggest downgrading the sip and python2-sip packages to version 4.12.2 or earlier until the bug in sip has been fixed.

#28 2011-06-19 03:49:14

jeff story
Website

kachelaqa wrote:

i would suggest downgrading the sip and python2-sip packages to version 4.12.2

This downgrade restored pkgbrowser on my system....

Check out my website for info on the Arch Linux Installer

#29 2011-06-24 13:48:05

kachelaqa

version 0.4 has been released today.

please see the changelog for further details.

#30 2011-07-26 00:42:35

quiquex

Great app! May I suggest running the package info details on a seperate thread? UI becomes unresponsive while the programs retreives package information from the repos, this can be very noticeable on slow connections or bottlenecked internet connections.

Last edited by quiquex (2011-07-26 00:44:29)

#31 2011-07-26 11:37:02

kachelaqa

quiquex wrote:

Great app!

thanks - glad you find it useful smile

May I suggest running the package info details on a seperate thread? UI becomes unresponsive while the programs retreives package information from the repos, this can be very noticeable on slow connections or bottlenecked internet connections.

i did consider this, but decided that making info retrieval asynchronous would screw around with link navigation too much.

just how slow is your connection? roughly how many seconds does the average aur package info take to load?

#32 2011-07-27 19:37:35

kachelaqa

it would appear that slow retrieval of package info may be caused by some aur tarballs being considerably larger than the average. the vast majority of tarballs are only a couple of kilobytes or less; but there are over a hundred which are more than 100 kilobytes, and a few which are well over a megabyte[!].

the only reason pkgbrowser downloads the tarball is that that is (usually) the most efficient way to retrieve both the pkgbuild and the changelog. but it might be better to only download the pkgbuilds as they are very rarely more than 10 kilobytes (the largest one i have found is 32 kilobytes).

so - since there is very little useful information in the changelogs, i am going to remove them altogether for the next version.

this should improve things a bit for users with very slow connections.

#33 2011-07-29 02:29:55

GSF1200S

First off, this is an awesome tool; some packages have really crazy names and it helps being able to wildcard search, as well as find information on any package. The AUR integration is absolutely superb. I used to use gtkpacman to search for package names and check local packages, but I definitely prefer this as I prefer installing from the command line anyways and pkgbrowser definitely provides more information than gtkpacman (in a much more efficient fashion).

The only suggestion I have: would it be possible to add a dependency tab in the bottom right pane? I understand that dependencies are listed in the Details tab, but they dont show which dependencies are installed- same goes for the tree view. I was thinking perhaps a tab that lists the dependencies of whatever package youre looking at and which packages are installed and not installed- this would be useful for determining if a package you are considering installing is going to pull too many dependencies in with it.

Example: search for Brasero. It lists a number of dependencies, but I cant tell which are installed unless I:
1) try to install it with pacman and see what packages are going to get pulled.
2) use pacman to individually check the status of each dependency listed (except for the ones I know).
3) open a second instance of pkgbrowser and check for each dependency's status there.
4) Run some pacman command im not aware of that would list the install status of a packages dependencies.

Just an idea- im not sure if others would find this useful, and ill use this program anyways until you stop developing it. Thanks!

#34 2011-07-29 12:38:36

kachelaqa

GSF1200S wrote:

First off, this is an awesome tool; some packages have really crazy names and it helps being able to wildcard search, as well as find information on any package. The AUR integration is absolutely superb. I used to use gtkpacman to search for package names and check local packages, but I definitely prefer this as I prefer installing from the command line anyways and pkgbrowser definitely provides more information than gtkpacman (in a much more efficient fashion).

The only suggestion I have: would it be possible to add a dependency tab in the bottom right pane? I understand that dependencies are listed in the Details tab, but they dont show which dependencies are installed- same goes for the tree view. I was thinking perhaps a tab that lists the dependencies of whatever package youre looking at and which packages are installed and not installed- this would be useful for determining if a package you are considering installing is going to pull too many dependencies in with it.

Example: search for Brasero. It lists a number of dependencies, but I cant tell which are installed unless I:
2) use pacman to individually check the status of each dependency listed (except for the ones I know).
3) open a second instance of pkgbrowser and check for each dependency's status there.
4) Run some pacman command im not aware of that would list the install status of a packages dependencies.

Just an idea- im not sure if others would find this useful, and ill use this program anyways until you stop developing it. Thanks!

thanks very much for your feedback - i'm glad you find pkgbrowser useful.

strangely enough, i had just started thinking of the exact same issue you raise here regarding dependencies.

regarding your example: it is already possible to do most of what you want using a single instance of pkgbrowser. all you have to do is open the details tab for a given package, and then click on each dependency in turn. if the dependency is *not* installed, its details tab will have no status field. you can then use the navigation buttons (on the right-hand side of the tab-bar) to go back to the original package and check any other dependencies.

but i think this can be improved in at least two ways:

(1) include a 'Status: None' field to clarify the status of non-installed packages
(2) add status indicators to the dependency tree, in order to provide an over-view of non-installed dependencies

i'll certainly implement these for the next release. i'm not sure whether an extra 'dependency' tab is required - i'll have to think about it a bit more.

#35 2011-07-29 19:23:33

GSF1200S

kachelaqa wrote:
GSF1200S wrote:

thanks very much for your feedback - i'm glad you find pkgbrowser useful.

strangely enough, i had just started thinking of the exact same issue you raise here regarding dependencies.

regarding your example: it is already possible to do most of what you want using a single instance of pkgbrowser. all you have to do is open the details tab for a given package, and then click on each dependency in turn. if the dependency is *not* installed, its details tab will have no status field. you can then use the navigation buttons (on the right-hand side of the tab-bar) to go back to the original package and check any other dependencies.

but i think this can be improved in at least two ways:

(1) include a 'Status: None' field to clarify the status of non-installed packages
(2) add status indicators to the dependency tree, in order to provide an over-view of non-installed dependencies

i'll certainly implement these for the next release. i'm not sure whether an extra 'dependency' tab is required - i'll have to think about it a bit more.

Thats a good idea; I would say the extra tab isnt necessary if you go one of the above routes. Can you explain 1 a little bit? I have an idea, but take it as an offering of an idea- I hate it when I see people complain about not having X when some guy just spent a bunch of time coding an application for them to use. It lacks proper appreciation, and I dont want the following to come off that way:

I was thinking instead of a new tab, you could add three rows to the details tab:
1) Status: Non-installed: you would have packages here that needed to be installed in order to install this package; this would be blank with an installed package of course. It would need to also list any dependencies of the dependencies. Basically, before I install a package, I review ALL the packages that pacman needs to install (which includes the package I want, its dependencies, and the dependencies of the dependencies). Installed: packages already installed (if you think its necessary.
2) Total number of packages that would be needed to install this package (for a quick overview).
3) Total size of downloaded packages/ installed packages.

I have little use for 3 on my system, but it seems to be important for many others with older systems so I thought id mention it. It might be easier to implement the installed and not installed part on the tree view, but then 2 and 3 could go in the details tab. That actually seems consistent aesthetically speaking: a general detail of whats needed on the details page, and a more specific dependency layout on the tree view. Maybe just use green checkmarks next to each installed package (in tree view)?

Again, I know you want to keep this simple, so the above is just feedback/ideas. Your program, so ill look forward to whatever you come up with. Thanks again..

#36 2011-07-29 22:43:14

kachelaqa

GSF1200S wrote:

Can you explain 1 a little bit?

the package details tab has a 'Status' field which matches the text/icon shown in the package list. currently, this field is not shown at all for non-installed packages - but i am going to change that for the next release.

GSF1200S wrote:

I was thinking instead of a new tab, you could add three rows to the details tab:
1) Status: Non-installed: you would have packages here that needed to be installed in order to install this package; this would be blank with an installed package of course. It would need to also list any dependencies of the dependencies. Basically, before I install a package, I review ALL the packages that pacman needs to install (which includes the package I want, its dependencies, and the dependencies of the dependencies). Installed: packages already installed (if you think its necessary.

the dependency tree does almost exactly what you describe here. the only missing feature is that it does not indicate which packages are non-installed - but i am also going to change that for the next release.

GSF1200S wrote:

2) Total number of packages that would be needed to install this package (for a quick overview).

I have little use for 3 on my system, but it seems to be important for many others with older systems so I thought id mention it. It might be easier to implement the installed and not installed part on the tree view, but then 2 and 3 could go in the details tab. That actually seems consistent aesthetically speaking: a general detail of whats needed on the details page, and a more specific dependency layout on the tree view. Maybe just use green checkmarks next to each installed package (in tree view)?

in order to calculate (2) & (3), a dependency tree has to be built in order to find all the unique dependencies. this can be expensive for aur packages when the dependencies include other aur packages, because each one has to be downloaded separately. for this reason, the tree is only built when the tab is first shown. so if something like (2) & (3) is to be added, the information will have to be shown on the dependency tree page. also, there is a further complication with (3): aur packages have no pre-determined installed-size like official packages; so an accurate calculation of the total installed-size of dependencies is not possible if they include other aur packages.

#37 2011-07-30 01:20:48

examon

very nice software! I really like it!

#38 2011-07-30 03:23:48

GSF1200S

kachelaqa wrote:
GSF1200S wrote:

Can you explain 1 a little bit?

the package details tab has a 'Status' field which matches the text/icon shown in the package list. currently, this field is not shown at all for non-installed packages - but i am going to change that for the next release.

GSF1200S wrote:

the dependency tree does almost exactly what you describe here. the only missing feature is that it does not indicate which packages are non-installed - but i am also going to change that for the next release.

GSF1200S wrote:

in order to calculate (2) & (3), a dependency tree has to be built in order to find all the unique dependencies. this can be expensive for aur packages when the dependencies include other aur packages, because each one has to be downloaded separately. for this reason, the tree is only built when the tab is first shown. so if something like (2) & (3) is to be added, the information will have to be shown on the dependency tree page. also, there is a further complication with (3): aur packages have no pre-determined installed-size like official packages; so an accurate calculation of the total installed-size of dependencies is not possible if they include other aur packages.

Awesome! The next version should be even more awesome. I think having it in the dependency tree will work fantastic (what is installed and not installed). Understood on #3. You dont want it to become too complicated or it becomes a pain to maintain, so the plan you have is prolly best. Ive used pkgbrowser quite a bit just today to cut out some package creep thats been happening as Ive migrated to OB from XFCE- its been very useful..

Last edited by GSF1200S (2011-07-30 03:24:21)

#39 2011-08-02 06:59:03

GSF1200S

Opened up PkgBrowser today and Im getting the error dialog:

Could not fetch url:
http://pacnet.archlinux.pl/api/categories/

HTTP 404: Not Found

The categories are not listed (though I never really use them), and the status bar indicates:
Initializing databases. Please wait...

as long as the program is running..  Also, trying to search for packages (installed locally on the system or remotely located on Arch's mirror/server) does not work now. I can use the filters All, Core, Extra, Community, Multilib, etc. Searching the AUR also does not work.

I guess I might suggest a selectable list of places where the particular file you are trying to download so that this can be avoided in the future smile

Im assuming that the issue with not being able to search is because it all goes through that website and that API- perhaps it may be too much work if different websites use different APIs for this..

#40 2011-08-02 12:32:47

kachelaqa

GSF1200S wrote:

Opened up PkgBrowser today and Im getting the error dialog:

Could not fetch url:
http://pacnet.archlinux.pl/api/categories/

HTTP 404: Not Found

The categories are not listed (though I never really use them), and the status bar indicates:
Initializing databases. Please wait...

as long as the program is running..  Also, trying to search for packages (installed locally on the system or remotely located on Arch's mirror/server) does not work now. I can use the filters All, Core, Extra, Community, Multilib, etc. Searching the AUR also does not work.

I guess I might suggest a selectable list of places where the particular file you are trying to download so that this can be avoided in the future smile

open up the file menu, make sure 'Work Offline' is checked and then click 'Refresh'. once the databases have been initialized, uncheck 'Work Offline' and all functionality should be restored (but without the categories),

Im assuming that the issue with not being able to search is because it all goes through that website and that API- perhaps it may be too much work if different websites use different APIs for this..

no, the only thing pacnet is used for is listing the categories. it is simply a bug that pkgbrowser does not fail gracefully when the pacnet site is down.

i will try to release a bugfix version of pkgbrowser as soon as possible.

#41 2011-08-02 16:16:37

kachelaqa

version 0.4.1 has been released today.

this is fixes the problem with loading categories (but note that if the pacnet site is down, an error message will still be shown).

#42 2011-08-02 20:06:09

GSF1200S

kachelaqa wrote:

version 0.4.1 has been released today.

this is fixes the problem with loading categories (but note that if the pacnet site is down, an error message will still be shown).

Awesome- thanks for the fast bug fix smile

Upgraded PkgBrowser, got the message that pacnet was down, but searching and everything works fine smile Thanks again..

#43 2011-08-05 13:07:58

kachelaqa

version 0.5 has been released today.

nb: see also the pkgbrowser manual for an explanation of the new dependency tree features.

#44 2011-08-05 20:35:53

GSF1200S

kachelaqa wrote:

version 0.5 has been released today.

nb: see also the pkgbrowser manual for an explanation of the new dependency tree features.

Absolutely perfect. Tells me how many dependencies Id need to pull (right at the top of the tree view), the size of the dependencies to be installed, and then allows me to see via the tree exactly what they are. The AUR features are an added bonus. The fallback mechanism is also very nice. If I might ask a question: is this program relatively easy to keep up from here on out? If so, I could see this becoming a very popular tool; gives you information, but doesnt try to do too much or install packages for you.

Thanks for the great release and all the hard work smile

Last edited by GSF1200S (2011-08-05 20:38:20)

#45 2011-08-05 21:35:37

kachelaqa

GSF1200S wrote:

If I might ask a question: is this program relatively easy to keep up from here on out?

if you're asking whether i'm commited to maintaining it, then yes - as long as i keep using arch, i'll keep maintaining pkgbrowser.

you're welcome - thanks smile

#46 2011-08-06 09:58:42

GSF1200S

kachelaqa wrote:
GSF1200S wrote:

If I might ask a question: is this program relatively easy to keep up from here on out?

if you're asking whether i'm commited to maintaining it, then yes - as long as i keep using arch, i'll keep maintaining pkgbrowser.

you're welcome - thanks smile

Well, its obvious your commited to maintaining it as you have been- its just that sometimes (gtkpacman, clyde, bauerbill), things get very difficult to maintain. Im guessing that this program merely reads pacman output (pacman -Qdt for orphans, parses pacman -Qi for various data/explicitly installed etc) and formats it in a way that fits the interface you have setup. In this case, as opposed to libalpm which changes forms when pacman is upgraded, it would likely be much easier to maintain. Further, since you use Qt4, I would imagine bitrot wouldnt be much of an issue as the toolkit is consistent. I was just curious if it required a great deal of intervention on your part to keep it going with Arch. The more intervention it requires, the more apt one is to burn out on the project, you know? I am a realist, and we all know that open source software suffers from the plight of hinging on a developers interest and passion (which is also its greatest strength, as in this case).

Nothing negative or anything smile

#47 2011-08-06 13:14:13

kachelaqa

GSF1200S wrote:

Im guessing that this program merely reads pacman output (pacman -Qdt for orphans, parses pacman -Qi for various data/explicitly installed etc) and formats it in a way that fits the interface you have setup.

no, pkgbrowser doesn't use the pacman frontend at all. for official packages, it uses libalpm via some custom python bindings i wrote (with the help of swig). for unofficial packages, it uses the aur rpc interface (plus a little bit of web page scraping) for basic information, and then also downloads and reads pkgbuilds for more detailed information.

In this case, as opposed to libalpm which changes forms when pacman is upgraded, it would likely be much easier to maintain.

i suppose it's always possible that changes could be made to libalpm that might force a drastic rewrite of pkgbrowser - but i'm generally much more concerned about the aur. working with the aur often involves having to make a lot of awkward compromises. its functionality is severely limited (compared with libalpm), and the quality of information it provides can sometimes be...well, total crap, to be honest hmm

so, all in all, i would actually welcome major changes to both the infrastructure and content of the aur, even if it involved a drastic rewrite of pkgbrowser.

I was just curious if it required a great deal of intervention on your part to keep it going with Arch. The more intervention it requires, the more apt one is to burn out on the project, you know?

so far, it has not required a lot of work to keep up with external changes. most of the maintenance work has been either self-imposed (bug-fixing, new/improved features, etc) or as a result of requests from users.

pkgbrowser is only at version 0.5 - so it's likely there's still plenty of room for improvement wink

#48 2011-08-13 11:44:07

kachelaqa

kachelaqa wrote:

there is an issue caused by a recent upgrade to the sip and python2-sip packages which affects pkgbrowser (and may also affect other pyqt applications).

as a temporary workaround, i would suggest downgrading the sip and python2-sip packages to version 4.12.2 or earlier until the bug in sip has been fixed.

please note that this issue has now been resolved and it is safe to update the sip and python2-sip packages to version 4.12.4.

#49 2011-08-20 03:10:11

GSF1200S

I will respectfully query you about two possible feature adds and will respectfully defer to you in terms of whether or not you want to implement them. I use PkgBrowser all the time now, so either way im happy...

1) Any way PkgBrowser can remember the options I have selected for the search function? Namely "Include AUR." Not a big deal at all, but I often open PkgBrowser to search for something related to the AUR, and then find I forgot to check that box. Just an idea.. Maybe a config file with "Remember Options" or just something built into the code?

2) I find there is only one instance which requires me to load up the AUR in my web-browser: checking the comments section of various packages. I understand getting this info might make PkgBrowser unnecessarily slow, so would there be any way to implement a "Comments" tab that simply grabs the user comments from a packages AUR page only when one clicks on the tab? To be clear, say I search for cups-usblp (cups is always a nightmare as upstream issues get me often). I click on it, note its Out of Date status, dependencies, etc. Now, Id like to be able to click on the comments tab which brings up all the aur comments for that package. I think actually leaving comments is far beyond the scope of this program personally and not really useful for browsing packages (as the programs name implies). Maybe you could limit to the 10 most recent comments or something sane that wouldnt require insane amounts of time to grab the required information and do so with Webkit or something? This is often very useful for finding out possible necessary modifications to the PKGBUILD of that package such as URL changes, dependency changes, packages that need to reinstalled (git packages for instance) in order for the package to build/work, etc.. I know you dont want this program to head towards bloat, so if that makes it too complicated or harder to maintain, forget it smile

Again, your project, your time, your choice- just a friendly idea as you seem open to ideas but ultimately in control of the project's direction. These are the only two things I can think of to extend what PkgBrowser does- the Dependency additions in the Tree tab was the biggest plus and I use it constantly (implemented better than my idea btw).

Last edited by GSF1200S (2011-08-20 03:23:23)

#50 2011-08-20 11:48:58

kachelaqa

GSF1200S wrote:

1) Any way PkgBrowser can remember the options I have selected for the search function? Namely "Include AUR." Not a big deal at all, but I often open PkgBrowser to search for something related to the AUR, and then find I forgot to check that box. Just an idea.. Maybe a config file with "Remember Options" or just something built into the code?

i have thought of adding something like this before, but the question is: should all the options be remembered or only a selected few? as you say, it's usually the "Include AUR" checkbox that is problematic - maybe it should just default to checked (unless working offline). alternatively, a default search options section could be added to the config file.

2) I find there is only one instance which requires me to load up the AUR in my web-browser: checking the comments section of various packages. I understand getting this info might make PkgBrowser unnecessarily slow, so would there be any way to implement a "Comments" tab that simply grabs the user comments from a packages AUR page only when one clicks on the tab? To be clear, say I search for cups-usblp (cups is always a nightmare as upstream issues get me often). I click on it, note its Out of Date status, dependencies, etc. Now, Id like to be able to click on the comments tab which brings up all the aur comments for that package. I think actually leaving comments is far beyond the scope of this program personally and not really useful for browsing packages (as the programs name implies). Maybe you could limit to the 10 most recent comments or something sane that wouldnt require insane amounts of time to grab the required information and do so with Webkit or something? This is often very useful for finding out possible necessary modifications to the PKGBUILD of that package such as URL changes, dependency changes, packages that need to reinstalled (git packages for instance) in order for the package to build/work, etc.. I know you dont want this program to head towards bloat, so if that makes it too complicated or harder to maintain, forget it smile

sorry, but i'm going to have to pour cold water on this one sad

the main problem i have with it is that comments can contain important links (e.g. to bug reports, or to pastebin), or may require viewing the pkgbuild which is linked to on the same page. opening up a web page is almost inevitable if more information is needed about a package. a line has to be drawn somewhere, and the most reasonable place to do that is at the first link in the chain; otherwise, pkgbrowser will start to turn into a web browser (which i hope you will understand is something i want to avoid).

Again, your project, your time, your choice- just a friendly idea as you seem open to ideas but ultimately in control of the project's direction.

feedback of any kind is always welcome smile

Board footer