You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-17 03:51:32

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Wiki Migration

Ok. Most wiki migration updates will likely appear in this thread. I will try to centralize them here so that the community wont have to look all of the place for information.

I will post links to the mailing list when possible, for some of the more important information and updates. Posting links helps reduce the need for me repeating myself, but still allows those not subscribed to the list to know what is going on (although I recommend subscription for those of you interested in seeing another facet of arch).

Latest update:
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch … 04736.html

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2005-06-17 03:56:29

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Wiki Migration

I have recieved a few inquires, and volunteer offers for the actual migration process.

My current canned responce is:

Yes, help will be needed. There is still some preperatory work going on right now, to ease the transition.

Right now we are in stage 1.
See http://cactuswax.net/~eliott/docs/wiki_ … n-rfp.html for more info about the "stages" planned.

The final stage, the actually transferrance of data, and creation of pages, is where volunteers will come in.

Please stay tuned, as we will be needing all the help we can get when that stage arrives.

I appreciate your offer for help. Please remind me of it, when the time comes for the final transition stage. I will be notifying the community when that occurs, and will solicit help at that point.

--Cactus

Soon I hope to move to stage2. Stay tuned.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-06-17 09:20:04

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

First I thought insisting to use CoWiki instead MediaWiki but forgot there is also the question of migrating the existing docs. If MW does it smoothly, then why not. smile Moreover, in CoWiki users cannot register themselves but by admin (if I understood correctly).

The structure at this stage, I suggest to keep to some extent same as in phpWiki, so that the original authors can find them. Also to not confuse the current users too much. It can always be improved later on.

Markku

#4 2005-06-17 14:53:19

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

rasat wrote:

First I thought insisting to use CoWiki instead MediaWiki

Best be careful here, I personally believe that you may be dealing with the future official Arch Linux Documentor. ;-)

Dusty

#5 2005-06-17 17:06:41

whisky
Website

Just a request, plz state clearly the statut of all texts that will be in the WIKI, Creative Common Licence seems to be a good choice?

#6 2005-06-17 17:15:00

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I think the free documentation license would be more sensible.

Dusty

#7 2005-06-17 17:17:27

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

documentor.vote_for("cactus");

#8 2005-06-17 18:20:08

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

good point whiskey. The license will need to be explicity stated. Mediawiki supports this. We just have to figure out which one to use.
On the test wiki, I set it up for Gnu Free Doc License, but it can be whatever is decided for the final version.

On the bottom of the edit page, you will always find the following in mediawiki, if you set the license type to gnuFDL:

Please note that all contributions to TestWiki are considered to be released under the GNU Free Documentation License 1.2 (see Project:Copyrights for details). If you don't want your writing to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then don't submit it here.
You are also promising us that you wrote this yourself, or copied it from a public domain or similar free resource. DO NOT SUBMIT COPYRIGHTED WORK WITHOUT PERMISSION!

EDIT: I believe mediawiki supports integration of either GNU Free Documentation License or Creative Commons license.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#9 2005-06-21 07:36:45

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Updates: http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch … 04761.html

Still slowly moving forward.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#10 2005-06-21 09:36:08

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

> ...lock the current wiki against editing.

I am not sure if phpWiki has a feature to lock all pages. Individually there is but there are 400 pages. If no feature, then maybe lock in the web server.

Cactus, have you discussed with apeiro? ... is he aware about this migration.

Markku

#11 2005-06-21 17:05:10

yak8998

I would imagine just d/l'ing the database would work easiest, and than continue to allow editing of the current wiki with no importing of changes (state it somewhere obviously).
cactus hit me up when you start moving everything

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

#12 2005-06-21 18:26:32

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

rasat wrote:

Cactus, have you discussed with apeiro? ... is he aware about this migration.

I haven't discussed it with him too much directly, but he does know. I have also discussed it at length with Dennis.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#13 2005-06-21 19:03:52

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

#14 2005-06-21 19:14:21

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I believe so. I think he is wrapping up some school stuff or something...so he is probably in hiding for a while yet.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#15 2005-06-21 23:03:22

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#16 2005-06-26 00:13:49

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

*notice*
I moved the url of the testing wiki to here:
http://metis.cactuswax.net/wiki_test/

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#17 2005-06-27 00:39:07

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I moved the wiki migration docs too. They now reside here:
http://cactuswax.net/~eliott/projects/wiki_migration/

I just did a snapshot of the wiki, and did a conversion (as outlined in section 2.4 of the rfp), and the result was 439 wiki pages. There are approximately 31019 lines of text contained in those pages (cat * | wc -l).

Of those, there are user pages, junk pages, and probably some spam pages.

I might take a look through some of them to get an idea what a reasonable workload expectation for a single "job" would be. I initially thought a 10 page chunk would be good..if anyone is interested in taking a look at the results of the initial conversion, the results are located here:
http://cactuswax.net/~eliott/projects/w … st_convert

And here is the preconverted text, after stripping out the phpwiki dump hearders.
http://cactuswax.net/~eliott/projects/w … re_convert

Unfortunately, the autoconversion is simple, and at times causes more trouble than it is worth.  :?
But, it does some things pretty well.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#18 2005-06-27 04:40:06

yak8998

if you can get a decent team together with some time, i dont think a handconversion would be too bad. bust out the dual monitors or laptop and i reckon i could fly thru pretty quick, im a fast typer and a faster reader

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

#19 2005-06-27 14:46:39

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Cactus, Cactus!!!

You can save me. Give me some work to do!!!

I can probably work on this almost full time at work. :-P

Dusty

#20 2005-06-27 15:56:25

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

sounds good. wink

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#21 2005-06-27 16:08:34

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

#22 2005-06-27 20:39:26

xerxes2
Website

this wiki looks pretty good,

maybe you can host it as wiki3.archlinux.org and then when everything is working you can just switch the link,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

Board footer