You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-20 21:34:21

cjdj

Vmware 5.0 cloning from a network share

One of the new features of vmware 5.0 is be able to clone a new copy of a virtual machine from another.   It especially allows you to link one clone to another drastically reducing hard-drive space required for the clones...

I cant get it to work over a network share with Archlinux.   

I have a server with a large chunk of storage space.  Then I have a workstation with vmware installed.  (vmware is also installed and used on the server, but thats neither here nor there).

I have the server share mounted to my local workstation.  I have verified that I can read and write from the remote folder, including creating new files.

When I use vmware to open an existing virtual machine, I can browse thru the folders to pick the virtual machine, but when I try to open it, I get this error:

Unable to open "/home/cjw/mnt/vm/common/Win2000-Server/Windows 2000 Server.vmx": Failed to lock the file..

I've posted to the vmware forum, but no-one there seemed to have ever seen the problem before.   So I tried it on a different archlinux installation... same error.

I even wrote a little C program to test that I can flock() files on the share, and it was able to do so.

It works under windows, so I installed redhat 8.0 on a spare machine and it works (to my surprise) there too.

So now I am wondering, can it be an archlinux issue?   My sytems are pretty much up to date.   I am at a loss and tried everything I can think of.   Anyone got any ideas?   

Does anyone else using vmware have this same problem?

#2 2005-06-21 19:34:36

cjdj

Re: Vmware 5.0 cloning from a network share

Found a solution, although I dont quite understand it.

Mounting the remote share with cifs instead of smbfs allows me to at least see the virtual machine.  I was at least able to clone the virtual machine.  It didnt work quite right, but I think one of my paths was still pointing to something incorrect.

Board footer