You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-19 22:18:33

krej

I don't think the Install Packages part is working.

I'm trying to install arch linux through a net install, and everything goes smoothly until either the install packages option, or the configure system option. I can't really tell EXACTLY which one it is, but i'm thinking its the install packages one.

What happens is, at first everything goes smoothly. I'm able to download all of the packages without a problem. Then I click install packages, and it goes to a screen that says its installing, then a few seconds later it is back at the main menu. There is no errors in tty7 or anything. So the first few times, I just hoped that arch was very efficient at installing packages, so I move on.

Next I go to the configure system menu. The first thing it asks is if I'd like to use my old network settings. They downloaded everything fine, so I just went with yes. However, it says that it failed. So I try again and say no, thinking I'll just configure the internet later. Then it shows the list of all the config files, and whenever I try to open one, I just get a blank screen. So I close the file and try the next one, and they're all like that. The last option is the root password, so I thought I'd try that hoping I'd be able to configure everything properly later with a root password. When I select that option, it just spams that passwd can't be found.

So my next attempt was to just not configure my system. So it goes as normal, I get to the configure menu and just go to the 'done' option. Then I try to install grub, and it says it can't find menu.lst.

So, without grub, I really don't know what to do. Based on the empty config files and no grub, I imagine it'd be worthless to try and install grub myself seeing as how the rest of the installation seems to be screwed up. So, does anyone know what I can do to fix this? I checked the md5sum of the .iso I downloaded, and it is correct, so I don't know whats wrong. I downloaded this version of arch: archlinux-2009.08-netinstall-x86_64.iso

#2 2010-04-20 08:28:22

jurkan

Re: I don't think the Install Packages part is working.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … get_system

Perhaps you'll find the error if you do the install manually.

#3 2011-06-15 10:25:44

mukke

Yesterday, I had the same problem until I read the install log and realized that it complained about left-overs of kernel etc. on the designated boot partition. So I had the installer format it and everything was fine.

#4 2011-06-21 09:16:38

Katsunami
Website

While starting out with Arch, I have had this a few times. Sometimes, if one of the packages cannot be downloaded from the mirror, it just fails silently and won't go any further. I have restarted an installation or two for this, until I found that it can be fixed easily.

Just go up in the main menu and select another mirror. Just pick one at random. Then do the install of the packages again. Repeat this process unitll al packages get downloaded and installed. You should see a lot of "Parsing Hooks..." after the install of the packages is done. Then you can continue with the install.

Good luck.

I should not be expected to understand it. Dennis Ritchie said so!

#5 2011-06-21 14:27:27

ANOKNUSA

Katsunami wrote:

While starting out with Arch, I have had this a few times. Sometimes, if one of the packages cannot be downloaded from the mirror, it just fails silently and won't go any further. I have restarted an installation or two for this, until I found that it can be fixed easily.

Just go up in the main menu and select another mirror. Just pick one at random. Then do the install of the packages again. Repeat this process unitll al packages get downloaded and installed. You should see a lot of "Parsing Hooks..." after the install of the packages is done. Then you can continue with the install.

Good luck.

Well, that's one way.  Or... http://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/

#6 2011-06-21 20:30:06

Katsunami
Website

Thanks, but as far as I know, I can't view that page in the console smile I can now make it up to and including the install of X without the guide / manual, but then I will need some more information for the moment. First program I install and run under the rudimentary X environment (twm) is Firefox. That's too late if you need to know the mirror status before tongue

I should not be expected to understand it. Dennis Ritchie said so!

Board footer