You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-14 10:46:04

panuh

[SOLVED] "modprobe hp_accel" fails. can't access accelerometer.

Hi,

I'm uncertain whether this should rather go to laptop issues but I guess it's more kernel related. Feel free to move the thread if i'm wrong.

I noticed I can't modprobe the module for my accelerometer anymore. I occasionaly run a script that accesses the position data but in general i'm blacklisting the module.

running

# modprobe hp_accel
   FATAL: Error running install command for hp_accel

is what I get.

I can still modprobe lis3lv02d which is the driver (see: lis3lv02d) but without the hp_accel module being loaded. With this module loaded, the attributes do not show up in /sys/devices/platform/lis3lv02d/ as they should.

This issue is not vital to me and if it involves compiling a custom kernel to be compiled I'll keep it in mind for some later moment but any suggestions are very welcome. I feel a bit dyslexic whenever I try to understand what's going on in kernel development smile So I don't really know what might be the cause for this.

Thanks in advance

----------
Kernel 2.6.38-ARCH i686
hp-compaq nc2400
Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU U2500 @ 1.20GHz

Last edited by panuh (2011-06-28 09:04:31)

#2 2011-06-24 13:57:14

panuh

Re: [SOLVED] "modprobe hp_accel" fails. can't access accelerometer.

Hi,

I'd like to give this a slight bump since I could not find a similar issue anywhere else and I feel quite unable to figure out where to start fixing, or rather where to start in finding out where to start fixing.

So all additional information I could obtain until now was the verbose output of modprobe smile

sudo modprobe -v hp_accel
Password: 
install /bin/false
FATAL: Error running install command for hp_accel

The "install /bin/false" could be a hint, couldn't it?

I don't really know which additional information i may provide. If there are any suggestions I'll gladly try to get it smile

Edit: The Kernel is updated to 2.6.39 by now.

Last edited by panuh (2011-06-24 14:12:49)

#3 2011-06-28 09:04:01

panuh

Re: [SOLVED] "modprobe hp_accel" fails. can't access accelerometer.

Okay, the problem is solved.

What happened is, that I had the hp_accel module blacklisted in /etc/rc.conf before. Until the problem appeared, I could manually modprobe it without any problems.

Because of this setting, the module was blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d/rc.conf which was apparently generated by systemd. I had read the news post about changes in module blacklisting but I could not conclude anything like this from it. Well, went a little over my head smile

Now I just wonder whether it's right that the blacklisting via

install hp_accel /bin/false

in /etc/modprobe.d/rc.conf was supposed to stay there after I removed the corresponding entry in the MODULES array in /etc/rc.conf or not. According to the wiki-entry about Systemd this file should be updated according to the settings in MODULES.

This happened to all of my blacklisted modules (not so many). So I get the same error if i try to modprobe pcspkr, snd-pcm-oss, etc. but it is resolved if I remove the entry. The problem might reappear for others with rarely used, blacklisted modules, though.

Now where should this initscripts related (or isn't it?) actually go? Kernel & Hardware seems a little odd now tongue

- Panuh

Board footer