You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-27 23:15:16

badhat

Can't connect to password-protected networks with networkmanager

I'm running Gnome 3 and am using the networkmanager daemon to connect to wireless (I often switch networks and it provides me with a nice interface to do so). I haven't been able to sign into networks that are password protected-- I can use nm to sign into unprotected setups and I will be asked for the root password (I believe this is for the Gnome keyring the first time only), but if I try the same thing for a protected network I am never asked to enter a root/Gnome keyring password.  It never gets past this step and so I cannot enter the network's password, either.

If I click the Gnome extension icon that appears for nm (I guess that this is no longer an applet with Gnome 3) I can go to "Network Settings" to see the wireless networks. In this menu, though, I can click the "Options" button but nothing happens. Do I need to install another package for that?

I'd really like to be able to have this functionality working properly.  I have read that WICD is pretty fast/lightweight, but I would like to use something that is 1) stable and 2) nicely interfaced with the DE I'm using-- nm has the extension icon in Gnome 3 and has many other functions (like VPNC integration) that I also use.

As a side note, if I run

$nm-tool

I can see all of the networks that are broadcasting, including the encryption type and protection. I'm not sure, then, why nm does not ask for a password.

#2 2011-06-28 03:23:44

ren2r

Re: Can't connect to password-protected networks with networkmanager

I have a issue almost like yours, but in my case is hidden network...
I only get it working with "nm-connection-editor", in there I configured and now it  works
I don't know if it will help you, but you can try this.

~/ren2r ...sorry for my bad english

#3 2011-06-28 21:58:33

badhat

Re: Can't connect to password-protected networks with networkmanager

installing the package "network-manager-applet" allowed for the menu to properly work.  I didn't realize that it wasn't even installed until I tried your

$nm-connection-editor

and realized that it wasn't a command on my system.

Silly me.

Board footer