You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-27 22:32:03

gwaar

Xfce Power Woes

I cannot, for the life of me, get the shutdown and reboot buttons to work on any other account than my root account in Xfce. I've added my account to the power group, I've set up my .xinitrc with ck-launch-session as in the wiki, I've got slim as my login manager, I've put the permissions line in my sudoers file, etc. Yet those two buttons remain grayed out for me.

The best I can surmise is that something is funky in my $PATH variable - on login if I do echo $PATH it returns "/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin" which doesn't include the paths for the power commands. I can't even do sudo shutdown -h now because the root $PATH also leaves out sbin and /usr/sbin when logged into Xfce. Only su -l will have the right $PATH. I can't find where the messed up $PATH is coming from - .bash_profile, .bashrc, and /etc/profile contain no path like that. I'm not sure if this is actually the root of the problem, but it's an annoyance unto itself as well. Any help with how Xfce is getting this stuff is appreciated.

Edit: I confirmed that the $PATH problem is the root of this - if I login from a terminal, and then do startx, I inherit the right path.

I'm still not entirely sure how I can log in as root from slim, and have the wrong path variable in xterm, but still have permission to reboot and suspend etc. I'm confused.

Last edited by gwaar (2011-06-27 22:35:58)

#2 2011-06-28 05:35:46

stlarch

Re: Xfce Power Woes

As per the wiki, do you have dbus in your daemons array in rc.conf? And maybe try,

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startxfce4 

in your .xinitrc.

edit: I saw Gwaar once, they opened up for Nazareth. They were pretty cool. Oh no, wait, that's Gwar.

Last edited by stlarch (2011-06-28 05:38:50)

#3 2011-06-28 18:24:00

gwaar

Found the problem was in /etc/slim.conf. The $PATH variable was being set there, but that wasn't the problem. Slim.conf has its own login_cmd which was set to "exec startxfce4" instead of something that called the .xinitrc with the real command. I think that one's my fault. However, now everything works.

#4 2011-06-28 20:49:19

gwaar

Haha, just kidding. Somehow after switching my home directory, I no longer have access to all the power options. I have no idea what happened, and now going back to my old home directory no longer works either. Logging in and starting Xfce from the terminal no longer solves the problem. I can shutdown the computer from the command line, but the buttons don't work, and I don't have all the options in the Xfce power settings dialogue. I haven't touched anything outside of my home directory, and I copied my xinitrc from my old home. I'm still the same user and in all the same groups, so I'm not sure how I could be going wrong.

#5 2011-06-29 01:48:37

anonymous_user

See the wiki for setting up Slim + consolekit:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Slim#PolicyKit

#6 2011-06-29 04:14:01

gwaar

Well, that did it. I had it set up just slightly differently. I started ck-launch-session within the .xinitrc because ratpoison doesn't need it, but that screwed up the permissions I guess. Way simpler than I was thinking. Thanks all.

Board footer