You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-23 12:29:50

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

-ckarch: Arch community patchset based on -ck

The guy who maintains -cko is getting slower and slower to release and fully admits that he is not that into it - would anyone be interested in contributing to a -ck based patchset that offers similar additional patches to -cko?

Lots of people ask about swsusp2 and fbsplash in the Arch kernel so I'm also thinking, if we can decide on a set of patches to include, we can host the binary in the AUR [community] repo with the stock Arch config (obviously with the additional options)

I personally think that -cko provides all the added functionality patches that most people commonly request without going as far as -morph and -nitro to be bleeding edge.

Now, i'd do the whole thing myself if i had time to do it but as most people know I have plenty on my plate.

What I am requesting is that a few people take responsibilty for the additional patchsets and that it is a group effort.  The first person takes the vanilla kernel and adds his/her patches, passes on the resulting patch to the next person in line, they patch the vanilla source with it and then hack in their patches.

This is the current -cko patch list.  There is no 2.6.12 release yet.  I am happy to add one or two patches to this list, I am also happy to drop one or two but it'll have to be a good case for either smile · Reiser4 filesystem, more info
· SHFS support (secure SHell FileSystem), more info
· Supermount, more info
· UML host skas3 support (includes SYSEMU), more info
· Alan Cox's -ac patchset, more info
· Jeff Garzik's libata updates, more info
· ACPI4Linux update, more info
· ALSA update, more info
· Linux Bluetooth protocol stack, more info
· Bttv update, more info
· Vesa-tng and fbsplash, more info
· LIRC (Linux Infrared Remote Control) support, more info
· Software Suspend 2 more info
· Inotify, more info

#2 2005-06-23 18:16:11

CyberTron
Website

Re: -ckarch: Arch community patchset based on -ck

I would be very happy to see this coming,

I am a great fan of the -cko patches, and they provide the patches I need (and the speed)
I need/would wanna use

acpi4linux
reiser4 (or atleast soon)
alsa
vesatng
softwaresuspend

I would gladly help...but I don't think I have the knowledge...

http://www.linuxportalen.com  -> Linux Help portal for Linux and ArchLinux (in swedish)

Dell Inspiron 8500
Kernel 2.6.14-archck1  (selfcompiled)
Enlightenment 17

#3 2005-06-23 18:22:49

qwerty

... Hey, what about the morph patchset???

http://morph-sources.homelinux.net/?q=node/2

And, if possible, what about building this patched kernel with everything related with AGP builded as a module so ppl can use ATI accelerated graphic drivers with it??
(as now to make 'em works is required to rebuild arch kernel and not all the ati possessors are able/wants to do it)
I can modify the ati-drivers PKGBUILD to work with this kernel, 8 ppl already voted for the ati-drivers package in the AUR, i hope in a few time it could be possible to install ati drivers just with pacman smile

(as you can see my english really suck, i hope you've understood what i'm trying to say wink)

grtz

#4 2005-06-23 18:42:16

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I'll certainly consider your proposal for building the stock AGP drivers as modules...

...other than that all i can say is try reading before typing roll

#5 2005-06-23 19:02:54

qwerty

oppppppppssssssssssss....
I feel like a dumbass now...   :oops:  :oops:

#6 2005-06-23 19:05:16

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

ahhh well - don't feel too bad - we've all done it smile

#7 2005-06-23 19:39:26

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

i thinking this may be a bad idea - i'm looking through the links I posted a) i can;t find half the patches b) half of them don't have 2.6.12 patches yet - i think it is better to give the -cko maintainer a bit more time!

I feel bad :oops:

consider this idea on hold!

#8 2005-06-24 01:12:54

jnengland77

Even tho we are trying to make our own Arch kernel patchset.   I think the morph kernel isn't as bad as the nitro kernel as in bleeding edge, but i haven't really looked into CKo since it hasn't worked..  I would use the Cko patchset but has an error in a module i use. 
IMO we could make make a patchset for it from Ck, CkO, Morph, and Nitro with the default config file and donate it.  We could possibly asign each person some kind of major patchset like them.  Each release make a new one so the devs don't have to and put the binary in the Aur.  Just some ideas....

~jnengland77

#9 2005-06-24 06:39:24

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Count me in.

I have been making patches for the Archie liveCD kernels, based on CK, and include a majority of the things here. I would be more than happy to start working on a patchset, based on CK, that would continue from CKO.

Currently in Archie:
-ck
-reiser4
-shfs
-squashfs
-unionfs (needed to build an archie ISO, and within the archie iso)
-bootsplash (could use fbsplash if demand were there)

I could happily try and extend this to include some of the extra things that CKO has.....

I realise that squashfs is practically irrelevant to a desktop kernel, but people dont have to compile it in if they dont want to.

iphitus

#10 2005-06-24 06:46:34

CyberTron
Website

That would be very nice iphitus big_smile

http://www.linuxportalen.com  -> Linux Help portal for Linux and ArchLinux (in swedish)

Dell Inspiron 8500
Kernel 2.6.14-archck1  (selfcompiled)
Enlightenment 17

#11 2005-06-24 07:53:38

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

jnengland - from a person that hasn't actually tried them all that's kind of a grand suggestion!  I, personally, have never found any benefits of -nitro over -cko and have only had instability.  Of course you are more than welcome to submit a PKGBUILD to the AUR for -nitro and -morph but I, as a TU wouldn't host them, because they just don't do anything that -ck and -cko can't - it's not that they are bad, it's just that, like gentoo, they have some really specialized features that most people will never take advantage of.

...and also like gentoo some people use it because they think it does something it just doesn't big_smile

Besides, anyone can build a custom kernel with the PKGBUILD on the wiki or penguin's script - it couldn't be much easier!

So - let me just waste my breath again! No -morph and no -nitro

Now back to business....

Bootsplash?!  Groan!

Board footer