You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-02 14:23:33

Jabrick

[SOLVED]Filesystem Check Failed :(

Currently I have two harddrives, sda and sdb.
All my main fails are on sda, and when arch checks that harddrive it comes clean.
I just formatted part of my sdb, as ntfs for windows.
Previously my computer mounted both sda and sdb.
Could the problem be that I am mounting sdb as a whole instead of soley sdb1?
But my error occurs when it says ...
"/dev/sdb1 is mounted. e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting."

I tried umount /dev/sdb, then hit ctrl+D it restarts but runs into the same error.
I also tried
umount /dev/sdb
But my output says..
"umount: /dev/sdb: not mounted"
And when i try manually checking the disk with e2fsck or fsck it says my harddrive it still mounted

my fdisk -l looks like

Device       Boot         Start                End                   Blocks               Id            System
/dev/sdb1                 2048            464773167                  232385560             83            Linux
/dev/sdb2            464773168       976773119                   255998976              7             HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

/dev/sda1     *            63                208844             104391              83          Linux
/dev/sda2              208845             738989                  265072+           82           Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3              738990           16113194                  7687102+           83          Linux
/dev/sda4            16113195         976768064                   480327435            83          Linux

my cat /etc/fstab looks like this

#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>               <dir>            <type>                <options>              <dump>        <pass>
devpts                          /dev/pts            devpts            defaults               0                     0
shm                              /dev/shm           tmpfs           nodev,nosuid               0                     0
/dev/sdb1                       /media              ext4              defaults               1                      2
#/dev/cdrom                /media/cd           auto       ro,user,noauto,unhide               0                      0
#/dev/dvd                   /media/dvd          auto       ro,user,noauto,unhide               0                      0
#/dev/fd0                   /media/fl                auto        user, noauto               0                      0

By the way all the code wasn't copied and pasted so there might by some typos.

If someone could please give me some steps in the right direction that would be great.
I'm still a newb at this!
Thanks smile

UPDATE:I also tried running umount and fsck in single user mode, but it still says the filesystem is mounted and umount says its not mounted.

Last edited by Jabrick (2011-07-02 18:26:58)

#2 2011-07-02 15:34:28

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Filesystem Check Failed :(

/dev/sdb is a disk, not a partition. You cannot (un)mount a disk.

Check /etc/udev/rules.d for any rules that might be automounting partitions.

#3 2011-07-02 16:20:17

Jabrick

Ok I tried fsck /dev/sdb1 in single user mode and it still says it is mounted. I did use the umount command.
Whats going on?!?!

When i do vim /etc/udev/rules.d  this is what i get

"===============================
"  /etc/udev/rules.d
"  Sorted by        name
"  Sort sequence: [\/$,\<core\%(\.\d\+\))\=\>,\.h$,\.c$,\.cpp$,*\.o$\.obj$,\.info$,\.swp$,\.bak$,\~$
"  Quick Help: <F1>:help     -:go up dir     D:delete   R:rename    s:sort-by   x:exec
../
11-media-by-label-auto-mount.rules

UPDATE: When typing init 1 there is an error at...
Error creating persisten state file; filename='/var/lib/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.persist-', error='Read-only file system (30)'
I don't know if that helps

Last edited by Jabrick (2011-07-02 16:29:41)

#4 2011-07-02 16:27:53

cybertorture

replace in fstab "/dev/sdb1" with correct uuid and problem most likely will be solved wink

O' rly ? Ya rly Oo

#5 2011-07-02 16:29:55

falconindy
Developer
Website

Jabrick wrote:

Ok I tried fsck /dev/sdb1 in single user mode and it still says it is mounted. I did use the umount command.
Whats going on?!?!

"  /etc/udev/rules.d
"  Sorted by        name
"  Sort sequence: [\/$,\<core\%(\.\d\+\))\=\>,\.h$,\.c$,\.cpp$,*\.o$\.obj$,\.info$,\.swp$,\.bak$,\~$
"  Quick Help: <F1>:help     -:go up dir     D:delete   R:rename    s:sort-by   x:exec
../

Yes, and that rules file is what's mounting /dev/sdbX automatically. Either adjust it to only catch sd[c-z] or delete it.

#6 2011-07-02 16:37:05

Jabrick

cybertorture wrote:

replace in fstab "/dev/sdb1" with correct uuid and problem most likely will be solved wink

Sorry I'm sure what you mean by that... but it seems like you are confident in your anwser!!
I will give you what my fstab UUID says...

UUID=5a672a8d-2350-4622-8d82-eea696a9b08a /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
UUID=867aabe0-b714-462d-b093-07c4e7ed8876 /home ext4 defaults 0 1
UUID=cdee52e2-d656-4ea7-8a89-aa151cb5180b / ext4 defaults 0 1
UUID=e59b40d7-358a-48c8-8199-cc39ad6e64a5 swap swap defaults 0 0

So do you suggest on the third UUID i input /"dev/sdb1"?
Please get back to me as I do not want to destroy or lost all my data!

UPDATE: Or should i input /"media" on the third line?!?!?!?! Is that it???? waiting anxiously.
UPDATE2: I read the fstab arch wiki, and it seems that the default option for /dev/sdb includes automount.
                What I'm confused is that /dev/sb1 is a linux partition, shouldn't it should be left as default? Am I correct to rule this
                out? Just trying to give me info, as my computer is down sad At least I'm learning tongue

Last edited by Jabrick (2011-07-02 17:12:39)

#7 2011-07-02 16:51:54

Jabrick

falconindy wrote:
Jabrick wrote:

Whats going on?!?!

"  /etc/udev/rules.d
"  Sorted by        name
../

Yes, and that rules file is what's mounting /dev/sdbX automatically. Either adjust it to only catch sd[c-z] or delete it.

OK I went in there (didn't know i could before! now i know smile ) and I was doing some reading on udev arch wiki.
And I have the code for automounting usb

KERNEL!="sd[a-z][0-9]", GOTO="media_by_label_auto_mount_end"

# Import FS infos
IMPORT{program}="/sbin/blkid -o udev -p %N"

# Get a label if present, otherwise specify one
ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}!="", ENV{dir_name}="%E{ID_FS_LABEL}"
ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}=="", ENV{dir_name}="usbhd-%k"

# Global mount options
ACTION=="add", ENV{mount_options}="relatime"
# Filesystem-specific mount options
ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="vfat|ntfs", ENV{mount_options}="$env{mount_options},utf8,gid=100,umask=002"

# Mount the device
ACTION=="add", RUN+="/bin/mkdir -p /media/%E{dir_name}", RUN+="/bin/mount -o $env{mount_options} /dev/%k /media/%E{dir_name}"

# Clean up after removal
ACTION=="remove", ENV{dir_name}!="", RUN+="/bin/umount -l /media/%E{dir_name}", RUN+="/bin/rmdir /media/%E{dir_name}"

# Exit
LABEL="media_by_label_auto_mount_end"

I'm guessing this also applies to the harddrive.
I'm lookin at the first line
'KERNEL!="sd[a-z][0-9]", GOTO="media_by_label_auto_mount_end"'
And I think it means mount everything!
So if i want to specify sda* sdb1 and sd[c-z][0-9]
What would be the syntax for that?
Once again that you for all the support, hopefully I can come accross an anwser before you reply.

#8 2011-07-02 18:26:02

Jabrick

Special thanks to falconindy for pointing out the problem.
It was in my udev rules.
The rule I had was just for external devices.
So I just changed the first line to
"sd[c-z]" instead of "sd[a-z]"
Everything should be working fine now smile

Board footer