You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-13 18:47:04

nemamradfazole
Website

Canon Pixma MP270 - Installation of a printer/scanner

I'd like to introduce a way how I've succeeded in installing printer/scanner Canon Pixma MP270.

First download Debian package from http://software.canon-europe.com/softwa … asp?model= (source codes package didn't work for me) to some temporary directory. Then execute as root:

# pacman -S cups libtiff libpng12 deb2targz
# ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4
# tar xf MP270_debian_driver_pack.tar
# tar xzf cnijfilter-mp270series-3.20-1-i386-deb.tar.gz 
# cd cnijfilter-mp270series-3.20-1-i386-deb/packages/
# deb2targz *
# tar xzf cnijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.tar.gz
# tar xzf cnijfilter-mp270series_3.20-1_i386.tar.gz
# cp -r usr /
# /etc/rc.d/cups start

It isn't very Arch way, but it worked for me just this way. Then add your printer in the CUPS administration page http://localhost:631/ by these steps:
Administration > Add Printer > login as root > Canon MP270 series (Canon MP270 series) > you can rename it > Canon MP270 series Ver.3.20 (en) > Query Printer for Default Options

For starting CUPS (which you need to print) at every boot add to /etc/rc.conf:

DAEMONS=(... cups ...)

If you're having some problems (for example jobs may appear as completed, but printer does nothing), you should change one line in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf:

LogLevel debug

and watch for errors with this command (try to print after calling this):

$ tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log

Installing MP270 as scanner is easier - run:

$ yaourt -S scangearmp-mp270
$ scangearmp 

You can create menu item /usr/share/applications/scangearmp.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=ScanGear
Comment=Skenuje obrázky, noviny a rentgeny
Exec=scangearmp
Type=Application
Categories=Graphics
Icon=/usr/share/icons/homer_brain.jpg

#2 2010-11-14 03:51:18

lagagnon
Website

Re: Canon Pixma MP270 - Installation of a printer/scanner

This could be very useful to many, so would be better placed in the wiki.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2011-07-04 19:33:06

Soseki

Thanks for this... it has taken me 2 days to find this post and now everything works

#4 2011-07-05 13:19:44

nemamradfazole
Website

Glad it helped someone. Here is another tip:

After the color toner dries or goes empty and you feel like you don't need a new one, don't remove it! The printer is stupid and won't print without it. Instead install GNOME Print manager (package system-config-printer-gnome), run it (system-config-printer) and then it goes like: MP270 > Properties > Job Options > in Advanced (at the bottom) type CNGrayscale and add it > set it to TRUE. These steps lead to making the printer print just by the black toner, otherwise gray color isn't guaranteed to be printed and non-black colors won't be printed at all.

Thanks to Harbhag Singh Sohal and his original guideline - http://harbhag.wordpress.com/2010/07/03 … on-ubuntu/.

#5 2011-12-26 15:08:18

nemamradfazole
Website

With new udev (175-1), there can arise a problem with a file /etc/udev/rules.d/80-canon_mfp.rules. It's not needed anymore (and new udev doesn't understand the code), so I've deleted it and readded the printer under the CUPS, the new location is /dev/usb/lp0 (for me)—now it works again.

Board footer