You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-07 17:29:13

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

[solved] Sudden reboot while watching youtube video

*[edit]*
Nevermind. I've just noticed that the over clock is blinking. Apparently the power went out for a second.

Well, that was fun.
*[/edit]*

I was watching a video on youtube just now (on x86_64, with the flashplugin package from [multilib]) when the system suddenly rebooted. During the reboot it recovered and recommitted the journal and everything seems to be fine, but now I'm worried.

I can't find anything in the logs to indicate what could have happened but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. What should I check?

I don't even know if this has anything to do with flash. I had lmms open too, and maybe cmus.

For your amusement, here are the thoughts that when through my head right after the screen suddenly went black:
wtf, did I forget to plug in the charger again?
wait, i'm not on the laptop
oh fsck*

* The last time a system suddenly died on me, the psu had burnt out... which itself was funny, because I noticed the smell of burnt plastic and rubber before it happened. I assumed it was coming from outside, closed the window, and went to get a drink. When I came back, the system was dead and I had a little epiphany regarding the source of the previous smell.

Last edited by Xyne (2011-07-07 18:28:14)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#2 2011-07-07 18:26:49

karol
Archivist

Re: [solved] Sudden reboot while watching youtube video

Let's stick to power issues for now:
- are you using an UPS? Maybe there was a small power outage and w/o a battery support your computer went off and on when the power came back a second later.
- a short-circuit of some kind?

#3 2011-07-07 18:31:10

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

karol wrote:

Let's stick to power issues for now:
- are you using an UPS? Maybe there was a small power outage and w/o a battery support your computer went off and on when the power came back a second later.
- a short-circuit of some kind?

Heh, I just realize the same thing and edited the OP before I saw your post. smile

I didn't even think of that possibility before I saw the clock though, because the computer instantly rebooted. I've never noticed the power go out for less than a second.

Thanks for the reply.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#4 2011-07-08 15:30:58

andrewd18

I didn't even think of that possibility before I saw the clock though, because the computer instantly rebooted. I've never noticed the power go out for less than a second.

Electronics do that in my house when there is a brownout; a dip in voltage instead of a loss of voltage. Battery backups for the win. smile

Board footer