You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-13 10:38:41

twilight0
Website

[SOLVED] Artifacts with EXAPixmap ON and KMS with ATI OSS drivers

I had some problems for many months on my Arch Linux installation and I couldnt figure out what was causing it, so, because I found the sollution, I wanted to post it here and share it with you.

I, like others, was experiencing huge artifacts with KMS and EXAPixmaps on, on various cases, visuals and textures. After fiddling with all radeon options in xorg.conf and KMS on/off I found out thats its best for me to have KMS on (I couldnt play wine games otherwise) and EXAPixmaps off. But then again, when EXAPixmaps was off, I had poor 2D performance with KMS on, Xrender acceleration wasnt working and was falling back to software engine. Solution came from something that was brought to my attention in this topic. I ve set ARGB visuals off, raster engine for rendering and tried EXAPixmaps on.

It worked! Everything are as they supposed to be. Xrender engine and composite manager are finally working, no more artifacts. Framebuffer memory on my radeon card was somehow cleared. I then later found out an awkward solution on how to clear it by demand... Start X with vesa driver... then fix again xorg.conf back to radeon driver and reboot.

Now I have both 2D and 3D acceleration, I am logged in with KDE and have good performance. My glxgears output is 1000 to 1150 fps (vsync off) and I am using Xrender for the KDE desktop effects.

EDIT: I must clarify that I have an ATI Radeon 9200 Mobility M9+ (R200 serries)

Last edited by twilight0 (2011-05-13 20:30:27)

Proud Arch Linux user since 2007.

#2 2011-07-09 09:06:45

kairu0

Re: [SOLVED] Artifacts with EXAPixmap ON and KMS with ATI OSS drivers

can i see your final xorg.conf edits? i'm in the same situation with a similar card.

#3 2011-07-09 10:55:41

twilight0
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Artifacts with EXAPixmap ON and KMS with ATI OSS drivers

I 've made some more edits and this is my current xorg.conf

http://pastebin.com/x6ubG80K

I have ColorTiling set on for performance, be careful as it may be resource hungry in 3D apps but it increases dramatically fps.

You can try setting off EXAPixmaps as well and see how it goes, but then you ll have poor 2D performance and yet videos will play just fine either way.

Proud Arch Linux user since 2007.

Board footer