You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-09 16:54:16

nlanam

XModmap does not play nice with PulseAudio

Not entirely sure it this qualifies as Multimedia or Applications as it steps a little into both.

I have a Logitech C250 Webcam (link) as well as an Ideazon MERC Keyboard (before Steelseries purchased the product line... I can't find a link to the one I have anymore).

The keyboard is bound via XModMap without issue.
The webcam is USB and I use pulseaudio for sound. The camera works correctly at all times. The microphone works as well. However, about a month ago, the microphone started giving erroneous input. It sounds like it's taking whatever I say and compressing the result over time, giving an effect that makes me sound like a chipmunk.

If I restart pulseaudio with "pulseaudio --kill; sudo/etc/rc.d/alsa restart; pulseaudio --start", nothing changes. However, if I unplug the webcam and plug it back in, the webcam mic works correctly again. But, doing so spontaneously causes XModMap to revert my keyboard to its default (xmodmap -pke) bindings. If I re-run xmodmap to reapply my bindings, the mic starts messing with the input again.

I had no idea that pulseaudio and xmodmap even HAD any connection whatsoever, and as such, I'm completely lost as to what logs would be helpful to post to debug this issue and be able to play WoW and use Ventrillo at the same time again.

I can post any applicable logs or configs. In general this is a vanilla Arch with GNOME3 install, everything is kept up-to-date.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Nick

Board footer