You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-08 12:55:31

awpe

catalyst hd5870m 3d lags

Hello there,

I've got g73jh with ati hd5870m onboard,

running standard driver (xf86-video-ati) I've got very noisy gpu fans and no 3d support but very fast 2d acceleration with fading effects (BG transparency for ex.)

I've installed catalyst-total with yaourt -S catalyst-total

then after reboot I've done sudo aticonfig --initial and rebooted again

now I have 3d support and power saving options (I nearly can't hear gpu fans) but there are no fading effects there is no vsync there is no anything like 2d support (gnome works ugly).

Is there any way I can have good 2d/3d support with vsync and fading effects in arch?)

In ubuntu i have all of this, but I've read that ubuntu uses to add patches to everything so it's almost difficult to use its configs on other systems...

#2 2011-07-09 20:51:11

awpe

Re: catalyst hd5870m 3d lags

I've looked throuh X11 directory on ubuntu and on arch and I can't understand the difference in xorg 2d operations on ubuntu and on arch, all files are nearly simular... Does anybody has normaly working xorg (as on ubuntu) with latest catalyst driver and Broadway XT gpu core?

#3 2011-07-10 13:06:08

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

There are known issues with gnome3 and catalyst atm. Please complain to AMD and get them to fix their drivers.
(I do asume that the xorg log shows that you are actually using catalyst, that you are using libgl provided from catalyst etc)

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2011-07-10 13:06:31)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2011-07-10 21:04:50

awpe

@Mr.Elendig

You mean canonical made a patched libgl?

#5 2011-07-11 01:47:38

admiralspark

Don't both the proprietary nVidia and AMD drivers have patched libgl? Regardless, the stock system libgl is removed when installing catalyst from the AUR.
Gnome 3 has not and will not work with catalyst until one of three things happens:
1) (most likely) ATI patches catalyst with some random patch that has nothing to do with Gnome, but coincidentally removes the horrible rendering and rainbow issues.
2) (Somewhat possible?) One of the dev's for the major distros (I'd normally suggest Ubuntu but they use Unity now...) patches Catalyst with a band-aid that somehow happens to work, also probably related to luck since most of the goods are closed-source.
3) (very unlikely) ATI dev's all of a sudden care about Gnome 3 performance and fix their issues so that it works. :-P

I hate to be "that guy" but KDE 4.6.x works fine with Catalyst, full graphical effects and all.

One choice, you could switch back to the open source driver and either set it to dynpm manually or use my cheater script located here (it's called 'ati', the rest of the downloads are just my junk). Just run it with "sudo sh ati" when in the folder you downloaded it to (I move it to home). You should have less overheating issues with dynpm, I have a 5730 with a totally inadequate fan and it doesn't overheat with the open-source driver using that. smile

Team Ignition Kernel Developer
linux-ideapad developer/maintainer
Flame Kernel developer for Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S3
Want a cheap, reliable VPS with AWESOME customer service?

Board footer